Pink Fresh Water Baroques........

mausketeer

Thanks to everyone for clarifying for me on the white strand that they WERE freshwater and not South Seas as had been inferred (still looks like $100 was a good buy though. I had put the price in my original post but then edited it when I got embarrassed that maybe I paid too much! lol) Now the seller has PINK ones as well (with earrings - just button studs) I KNEW for sure that these were freshwater (not so much circling and very tear drop shaped. Also, um, don't think South Seas pears come in PINK, right?). Do you all think $125 is a fair price for them? Pictures below...... (EDIT: forgot to mention they are also 62" long - not sure about the mm size though)

I got the white strand today. A bit more worn than came through in the photos (you could see in some of the close-ups rings of wear around the middles) but also a lot more pink/green/blue orient to them than shows in the pics so...... I'm happy. They're so HEAVY! They weigh 109 grams! (for all you 'mericans, that is around 4 ounces)

I need another strand like I need a hole in the head but the price of these pink ones makes me think it's worth it?

Thanks for your help in advance! Yay or nay?

Jodie

Attachments

• pinkpearls1.jpg
    pinkpearls1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Ashley's 10.5 Tahitian solitaire
    Ashley's 10.5 Tahitian solitaire
    57.1 KB · Views: 65
  • My Ring :)
    My Ring :)
    40.3 KB · Views: 62
  • pinkpearls4.jpg
    pinkpearls4.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 58
  • pinkpearls5.jpg
    pinkpearls5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
The "worn" areas you describe are not necessarily wear, just low luster.

This is a judgment call-- think of what else $125 would buy you and ask yourself if these would give you $125 worth of pleasure! If so, no reason not to get them.

You could also have them restrung to a shorter length later, and make a pair of dangle earrings as well, selecting the best of the pearls. A bracelet as well.

Is there a return policy in case the shade is not as pleasing as in the photo?

It doesn't seem like bad retail for Chinese freshwaters, especially if they're clonks, but the color might end up being washed out in real life. I'm very picky about pink pearls, so unless they are close to cotton candy pink or salmon pink I don't usually like them. The freshwater baroques PP had early last year were just amazingly saturated so my benchmark is pretty high.

You might want to email them and ask if you will be receiving the actual strand in the photo if you purchase it. The one in the photo is quite pretty, and not a big risk at that price, especially if returnable if not satisfactory.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

They look to be a salmon pink to me, but as Pattye says, ask if it is the actual strand you are receiving so there are no unwelcome surprises... if you like the shape, the price is somewhere in the middle, I think you should look at Pearl Paradises baroque freshwater pearls, they are natural coloured and have better shapes as well. Perhaps a bit more expensive but large pearls and as good as untreated. Also without circles, as far as I remember.

Hi Mausketeer, glad you are happy with the white strand. The rings are inherent to the pearl, and are not from "wear" - I actually think your pearls are brand new. As for this new purchase - well, since you are already their customer - I would be "asking this seller a question" and seeing if you can get the earrings and the necklace together for $100. They might say no, but I would still ask. When I used to buy pearls a few years ago on ebay, sellers would always sell for less than the BIN price if asked - particularly sellers that knew me. They would almost always still do the transaction via ebay, which made me feel comfortable. I do think you got decent retail prices for these pearls. Look forward to seeing the pics when you take some!

Thanks for the info! I think I'll take that $100 and put it towards saving up for some baroque Tahitians (my true love!) instead! I have a double strand of graduated cultured Akoya pearls as well (I THINK, bought them vintage as well. The clasp is 14k white gold and has quite a bit of scratching on it so I don't think they're new..... but then again, I AM a newbie so who knows??) so I don't really need anymore "light" pearls. Black ones go with my "style" a lot better too. I'm not your typical pearl wearer that's for sure! I have lots of tattoos, piercings, etc. I think I'm going to start off with a nice big Tahitian on a leather cord. That is SO my style! My birthday is only a few months away....... I've been angling for an engagement ring from my boyfriend so maybe telling him I want a necklace would be a relief (and increase my chances of getting it!) lol

I still think the dull areas on my white baroques (I know they're not technically baroque, I guess I should start calling them circled, huh?) might be caused by rubbing against the other pearls since they are found around the widest parts of the pearl. The fact that they are so long means they were probably worn doubled and tripled up a lot so they would rub against each other as you moved around and pulled on them etc. I will try to take macro pics of what I'm talking about. The double strand of Akoyas I have are not knotted between each pearl, and they show the same sort of dullness where the pearls rub together...... (have to get them re-strung I guess)

I wrote to the woman I bought these last ones from (the white circled freshwaters) and (very POLITELY) suggested that she change the description on the pinks so as not to inadvertently lead someone to believe that they are south seas. They're on "Ruby Lane". Here's the link to the ad....... http://www.rubylane.com/shops/pattycakesantiques/item/3177

She doesn't DIRECTLY say "these are South Seas pearls" but she includes a blurb about South Sea pearls so....... most people would assume that that is what they are...... I LOVE "Ruby Lane" and I'd really hate to see it turn into another eBay! (with all the false claims and downright lies that people put on things now) I also told her to check out this forum - hope I didn't overstep my boundaries on that! Her shop seems to sell mostly faux jewelry, so I want to give her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the misleading advertising (I'm assuming she isn't a jeweler or goldsmith).

- Jodie -

Jodie,

all pearls that have not a spherical shape are called baroques, even though there are many different names within the baroqe shapes... See earlier posts on that.

UPDATE: sent the seller an e-mail telling her that I was fairly certain that my whites were freshwater and that perhaps she should think of changing the description for the pinks. She did! How sad is it that I am AMAZED when someone has integrity nowadays, huh? Just for fun sometimes I write to the sellers on eBay and say things like "Um, I think you "accidentally" listed a cubic zirconia as a DIAMOND in the description, think you might want to correct that". Funny - I never get a response!

- Jodie -

Well done! Good that you bothered, and good that they changed it. You knew you had a good feeling about that vendor..

Back