Pearls do the Strangest Things

Back in April 2008, we had a thread that originated from a post on Gemology Online by dbucfanGG and was posted by member Valeria101, about hairy pearls. Yes, you read that right!

A photograph of a beautiful strand of pearls was posted, but one of the pearls had what only could be described as dark hair growing directly out of the surface. Joking about five o'clock shadow and the lack of quality in modern nuclei ensued, but someone needed to get to the bottom of it.

hairypearl[1].jpg

hairypearl3[1].jpg

Enter our resident Sea of Cortez pearl farmer, Douglas McLaurin:

This is what I guess happened (from my personal experience):
1) Cultured Pearl was growing 100% OK
2) Something "bad" happened to the oyster: stress, rough handling, dog bite...take your pick.
3) The oyster's stress levels made the pearl-sac produce periostracum protein instead of nacre.
4) Sometime later the problem was resolved and the oyster went back to normal: its pearl sac secreting nacre once more.
That's about it! Have seen this dozens of times...

Who knew? Because very few people are allowed to see pearls being harvested, most people don't get to see the fascinating assortment of nature's creativity.

That is why I love showing this photo that they really did not want me to take - a pearl growing inside of a pearl that can't make up its mind if it's an organic gem or a plant.

funkypearl[1].jpg

Blaire Beavers
Managing Editor

Back