Pearls and inventory controls, just curious

Sea Urchin

I bought a pair of pink freshwater pearl studs online.

They sent me the wrong gold color. I checked my receipt, it was their mistake. Since I didn't like the color of the pearls that much anyway, I decided to request an exchange.

They were very nice, apologized and sent me a free shipping label.

I got the exchange pair. It was the right color of gold, and I like the shade of pink. But, this time the pearls were smaller than I had ordered (6-7mm instead of 7-8 mm). I checked the receipt again, carefully checked the pearls against others and a ruler. Again, their mistake.

I like these earrings anyway, so I requested to keep them and get a refund on the price difference. They were very nice, apologized and will refund the price difference. It's no problem, nobody's perfect and no cause to be a crybaby, right? We're good. Kind of off-topic, but in a way I trust a company more once I do have a problem and they handle it well... :)

But anyway, it just got me thinking about what else could be slipping out the door if that many mistakes are made. And about that whole issue, both from within the store and with scammy customers. I would think theft would be an enormous issue when you are dealing with small, valuable items.

Anybody have any interesting stories to share?

Last edited:
From the other side of the counter - almost invariably when an order starts to go wrong it stays going wrong in as many different ways as it can!

I make bulk orders regularly from this Chinese supplier that my brother (he's a pilot and regularly made visits to the mainland and regularly bought for me for over a year) helped broker. I'd like to think after four years we have a solid relationship after all I do drop some money in her place every month. So far so good except for these few times I was asking for pearls with orient. No matter what her pictures captured, the strands that came just didn't deliver. I kept mum and kept going back again and again. Still no breakthrough. They were the same strands of pearls but the orient was elusive (don't get me wrong, it was there just elusive. The lightbox always makes it better.) in various light. Except for those three strands, she has consistently delivered so I'm still business with her today.

Good that you can assert yourself. I wish I were more, how should I say this, aggressive. I usually bow out from confrontation. My last encounter was this other Western Australian seller on Etsy who had gorgeous pictures of some lilac nucleated pearls. The orient was bouncing off all over the pics and I had to get me some to add on to my collection. A week later, glee dissipated into disappointment. The measurements were 2mm short and the colours didn't pass muster. I convo-ed and asked if the pictures were photoshopped as they were nowhere near lilac (flat copper, not even pondslime). I asked too if her measurements were accurate. That she didn't deny stretching the truth, said she had no callipers. Well a ruler could have told you so, I thought. She flatly denied the photo-shopping and told me to lower my expectations as what she was selling me was coming in at $15 a pearl. I kept my cool though I wanted to rat the prices that my supplier was selling me at. I examined them again northern light again - no go and no way. Obviously enhanced and photo-shopped. I gave up pursuing the issue. Mental note: Never again.

And the kicker is, I am too kind to leave a negative review. I should, shouldn't I? I am still miffed; I've always tried to support Aussie and where did that get me? I'm quite a loser and a wuss, I'm afraid. And I love the Etsy platform; it's relational. I'm not letting that stop me as both a buyer and a seller.

Yes Adeline, you should leave a negative feedback. You'll be helping others that way.

-Karin

Adeline...Tell the seller u want to return them for a refund. try and work it out before leaving a negative.

but i know exactly how you feel with the measurement being wrong. that happened to a friend of mine with a seller on ebay who is revered here. the item size was wrong and rather than give the refund or make it right she told my friend..."you got the pearl at a very low price already, just be happy with it".
if you already feel you have gone above and beyond a reasonable chance for the seller to make it right. then go ahead an leave a negative. atleast you did everything on your part.

I know what you mean. I think when a customer pays they should get good feedback and a lot of sellers do that. the ones that don't hold you hostage. You can give a positive- then score very low on the questions about how accurate was the description ad how helpful the seller. those ratings really are anonymous.

Adeline, I agree that you should request a refund...if she is legit then she will do the right thing...if she doesnt then give honest feedback. For her to give negative feeback she'd need to buy from you wouldn't she? Doesn't seem like it would be worth her while to do that. Caitlins solution is a good one if you are worried. Sounds like she's a bad seller.

Thanks guys, she offered me a refund. Glad it worked out. I had to send her a picture of my own pearls just to imply I do know my pearls though she said she too was in the pearl business for 15 years and other buyers didn't have any issues. Update: She has since updated her listings telling customers the colours in the photos are tad too bright. Those of you who use lightboxes, is that your experience with photographing pearls? Does it really come out too bright and intense?

Pearls are very hard to photograph accurately, we all know that! But it is the job of a seller to use photographs which accurately show their wares. I sit with the pearls in my hand and compare pearls and pearl photo before it goes onto the website and if they aren't accurate the photos go back to me accuratified(!)

Well, aside from the fact that it's ignorant, I don't think it's very good business sense to skim a few bucks and lose a good customer. *shrug*

Adeline, I just bought a lightbox and yes I can confirm you that it does brighten a lot and intensify the orient. I took pic of a Chinese Kasumi necklace and was confused how different it looks compared to when it's under natural light. I ended up photoshopping a lot of it to correct the color. It's fine for most pearls though... but the ones with iridescence will turn out, as you said, "bouncing off all over" with the lightbox.

In January this year, I went to a random hairdresser to perk up my "winter" look.. I told the stylist, I wanted it to remain natural looking... what I got was SO far away from natural looking, I went back in furious. I told him that I also own a small business and I understand what a "negative" feedback can do, and that I would refrain from that on account of not wishing him harm, but for months I did curse him and his "artistic license".. So Adeline, I feel for your predicament. I probably should have left him a negative, but it's not really my style. I carried that with a bad taste in my mouth.. but I felt silly, because none of my girlfriends would ever just walk in on off the street with out a referral!
As a pearl dealer, I must say it is really difficult to shoot consistent photographs, with the appropriate amount of light. We have been through so many incarnations of light box arrangements here that I can only feel a tinge of compassion for those who also struggle with "capturing the true pearl".
However I do not believe that in altering the images with photo shop. Luckily I am not very practiced at photo shop, so the time that it would take me to alter the images just isn't worth it.
I suppose the best way to buy pearls on line is to use your reflective reasoning.. if it looks to shiney, and there is no return policy.. then steer clear. It took years for us to arrive at the current quality of photos.. and honestly I am still not 100% about them.. thankfully there are too many other details to attend to to worry about that very often. I try to keep the photos interesting, but not "glammy".. and ofcourse customers are welcome to return pieces they don't agree with. knock knock knock.. it's pretty rare though.
I hope the bad taste goes away with a fabulous parcel of pearls that far surpasses your expectations.. your designs certainly deserve the best pearls!!!!

Good photographs keep returns at bay, so I'm always wondering why people would alter photos to make the product look better than it actually is. When I was working my website, I had more than one view of each item, sometimes three or four, to capture the differences that lighting makes, so that there were no surprises. Sometimes I had light box, studio lights, reflectors and a pin light all going at once - just to make the pearls look like they look in person. It's exhausting just thinking about it... :)

Blaire and Sarah, your photos of pearls are in a league of their own! I have this book by Renee Newman and I actually flag out the pages and photos that feature either your work or pearl strands!

As for the hair anecdote, lol, but at the same time you have my sympathy. It's hair, your crowning glory, we are talking about! There shouldn't be any concessions there. :)

Wendy and Perlinda, thanks for sharing your experiences. With my low tech skills, the lightbox is probably something I wouldn't be trying soon.

Continue the great job you do with your true-to-life pearl pics pearl vendors!

Back