Pearl trip to Japan - recommendations please!

Pomelo

Hi everyone, I'm planning a trip to Japan and would like to spend enough time in Kobe and the surrounding area to feed my pearl addiction.

I'd love to get your recommendations and any tips please.

So far, things on my itinerary include:
  • Mikimoto pearl island
  • Kobe pearl museum
  • Potentially schedule a visit to Takahashi...
Is there anywhere that focusses on Tahitians and SSs?

Thanks in advance!

If you're going to be in Kobe, you'll be close to Kyoto. That's a must-see, but I imagine it's already on your itinerary. You won't be far from Nara either. Nara is quite an experience, as long as you're not afraid of deer :) They won't be afraid of you!

Takahashi Pearl has a lot of Tahitians and South Sea. There are other wholesalers who specialize in South Sea, but it would be difficult to get an appointment with most of them as they don't sell direct and typically only sell in larger lots. Takahashi takes visitors, which is rare in Kobe. There are a lot shops that sell pearls, but they are typical retail stores.

Pomelo, I was in Japan this past fall and was able to visit the Mikimoto Museum and also Takahashi. I posted pics of both visits in the Pearl Industry News thread. I did not go to the Pearl Museum in Kobe. We took the train from Nagoya to Toba for Mikimoto Island, and I took the train from Osaka to Kobe to visit Takahashi. Feel free to PM me if I maybe can answer some questions. I can never go to Japan without spending some time in Tokyo, too!

Last edited:
I don't have any recommendations - just wanted to say how jealous I am! Hope you have a great trip.
Thank you! You're very welcome to join me hehe ;)

If you're going to be in Kobe, you'll be close to Kyoto. That's a must-see, but I imagine it's already on your itinerary. You won't be far from Nara either. Nara is quite an experience, as long as you're not afraid of deer :) They won't be afraid of you!

Takahashi Pearl has a lot of Tahitians and South Sea. There are other wholesalers who specialize in South Sea, but it would be difficult to get an appointment with most of them as they don't sell direct and typically only sell in larger lots. Takahashi takes visitors, which is rare in Kobe. There are a lot shops that sell pearls, but they are typical retail stores.
Thanks Jeremy! This will be my second trip to Japan (the first time was for our honeymoon a month before covid hit - got lucky with timing) so I've been to Kyoto and Nara before and loved it - actually, the whole trip was incredible! My husband made lots of deer friends whilst in Nara :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the insight to the pearl wholesalers and retailers!

Pomelo, I was in Japan this past fall and was able to visit the Mikimoto Museum and also Takahashi. I posted pics of both visits in the Pearl Industry News thread. I did not go to the Pearl Museum in Kobe. We took the train from Nagoya to Toba for Mikimoto Island, and I took the train from Osaka to Kobe to visit Takahashi. Feel free to PM me if I maybe can answer some questions. I can never go to Japan without spending some time in Tokyo, too!
Hehe thanks, I was ogling your photos - looks like you had a blast!

Pleas
Hi everyone, I'm planning a trip to Japan and would like to spend enough time in Kobe and the surrounding area to feed my pearl addiction.

I'd love to get your recommendations and any tips please.

So far, things on my itinerary include:
  • Mikimoto pearl island
  • Kobe pearl museum
  • Potentially schedule a visit to Takahashi...
Is there anywhere that focusses on Tahitians and SSs?

Thanks in advance!
please keep us posted once you’re back from your trip! I’m planning to visit Japan next year & curious to know if which of these experiences you recommend.

Back