Pearl Necklace. Need Help!

brian9955

Hello,

I purchased a really nice pearl necklace, which is approximately 16 inches long and four strands of pearls. I want to see if anyone can give me an idea of what it's worth.

I do know it has to be very difficult to tell by these pictures, but I just want a range. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Assortment of Conch Pearls
    Assortment of Conch Pearls
    17.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Fine Conch Pearls
    Fine Conch Pearls
    15.9 KB · Views: 56
4 strands? I can see six! :confused:

I am no expert, however, I believe they are what is generally known as "rice crispy" cultured fresh water pearls (CFWPs), mostly likely to be from China.

When I started to acquire pearls in the early 90s, I started off with these, mixing them with semi-precious stones and made my own jewellery.

The advancement in technology and quality of CFWPs have significantly improved since then, and rice crispies are not very valuable. However, they have kitsch value and look kind of quaint IMHO.

I still have the necklaces I made years ago using rice crispies. Don't wear them nowadays, however, I do not have the heart to throw them out.

DK :)

Hi, Brian, and welcome. I agree with DK, these look like inexpensive rice crispy pearls. There's a sticky in this forum that tells you what we need to know to best help you identify pearls. If you'd like to read that and provide more information, someone may be able to tell you more. In the meantime, here's an interesting older thread about some similar pearls.

Ha, i meant to put 6 strands. I paid $60 usd for them. Do you think that was a bad deal?

$60. sounds just right. Enjoy them. Don't they have a slight iridescence on the pearls as you move them in the light? That would be typical for that kind of pearls.

These older pearls have their charm, especially if their luster is good. The important thing is that you like them. :)

I loved my rice pearls from 10-15 years ago when they were so popular. Yours are much prettier than the couple of strands I have left. Occasionally I still wear them, when I need something dainty but more than just a chain & pendant.

For a finished piece like this, I'd say depending on where you are price may run anywhere from $60-$75

Wear & enjoy in good health!

Cheers
Ash

Back