Pearl found in dressing at yesterdays Thanksgiving.

joeyallennewman

It is white and black kind of like swirled on the pearl. The size is approximately 3/8ths of an inch. I am curious of the projected value. I have a picture and will try to upload off my phone. Thanks for your help!! 100 0640

its really hard to tell from the picture what it is, looks like a marble from where I'm sitting. Can you take a closer picture of the pearl, maybe with the macro setting? Does it feel gritty when you slide it across your teeth or smooth?

Obviously turkeys don't produce pearls, so if it was a pearl it would have to come from someones jewelry, in which case it would have a drill hole.

More info needed....

hello

hello

It was found in the oyster dressing. Another relative has the pearl right now. He is curious of value.

Unfortunately oyster pearls don't tend to have much value, especially if they've been cooked. It's a common misconception that pearls come from edible oysters. While any bivalve can produce a pearl, those that come from the mollusk family Pteriidae produce the nacreous, valuable pearls. Edible oysters are from the family Ostreidae, and pearls they produce are non-nacreous and rarely carry much value.

Aside from the technical aspects of it, finding a natural pearl, regardless of quality and/or value is a very, very rare feat

Unfortunately oyster pearls don't tend to have much value, especially if they've been cooked. It's a common misconception that pearls come from edible oysters. While any bivalve can produce a pearl, those that come from the mollusk family Pteriidae produce the nacreous, valuable pearls. Edible oysters are from the family Ostreidae, and pearls they produce are non-nacreous and rarely carry much value.

Aside from the technical aspects of it, finding a natural pearl, regardless of quality and/or value is a very, very rare feat.

That is an interesting pearl. I sure would like to see it closer. Maybe even a crop of the original picture that just shows the pearl......

It is highly unusual to find such a pearl at all. The size and color is most interesting. It isn't worth anything on the market, but it is worth keeping for fun!

The real miracle is that no one cracked a tooth! :) Very cool find and a great conversation piece.

Back