Pearl Engagement Ring

amyrose

Banned
Hello ^-^!

My boy friend is considering getting my a pearl engagement ring from a company called Na Hoku. I am a noob when it comes to pearls so I have some questions:

1. Are pearls really delicate? Since it is an engagement ring it will almost never be off my finger, will I have to avoid certain things while I have it on? (I am also notoriously clumsy)

2. If anyone has any experience with Na Hoku could you please share your experiences with me and how your jewelry was?

3. What pearls are the highest quality and value? I've read that freshwater and tahitian pearls are the lowest, and that akoya and south sea pearls are the highest (if I am horribly mistaken please correct me).

4. How do I care for pearls? I know you can't put them in jewelry cleaner, so what do I do with them?

5. If he does get this kind of ring is there anything I should examine it for?

That's all I have for now if I have anymore question i'll be sure to post them, thank you! :D

Hi amyrose,

Welcome and congratulations! There have just been several threads discussing pearls in engangement rings. I suggest you seek them out.

1) Yes, pearls are really delicate. If you get anything other than a solid nacre freshwater pearl or a natural pearl, expect to replace the pearl regularly. You can't avoid wearing it down. Expect a pearl in a ring to be a commodety, although a very beautiful one.

2) I don't know that company.

3) It's not quite that simple. I suggest you look at different kinds of pearls to see what kind you like best. If you want the true value of pearls, I suggest you look at some of the vendors listed here on Pearl-Guide. You might include in 'value' how long a pearl will last in the ring before it has to be replaced and here akoya will wear out the fastest as the nacra layer over the implanted bead is pretty thin.

4) You can wipe it with a soft cloth. I wash mine with hand soap sometimes. We have a section with care of pearls as well.

5) Is it pretty? Do you like it? :)

- Karin

There is a forum just for pearl wedding jewelry with lots of threads to explore:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Many household chemicals are hard on pearls. Even ordinary stuff like vinegar-- as an acid, it would erode the pearl's surface. Perfumes, hair spray, the chemicals in lotions can all degrade the pearl's luster.
I think if you go with a pearl for an engagement ring you should be prepared to take it off when doing housecleaning and take extra care when applying cosmetics, to keep the cosmetics off the pearl. I probably would remove it when preparing foods as well.

Many cultured pearls consist of nacre over a bead (akoya, Tahitian, South Sea, Golden South Sea, Cortez). Akoyas have thinner nacre than Tahitians or SS and I tend to think that if you go with an akoya pearl, you might have to replace the pearl eventually.

This is not to discourage you from a pearl engagement ring-- just be aware that it is not as "easy care" as some other rings might be.

I am also not familiar with that company.

Back