New Pearls are Peeling

fluffypants

Hi!

I love this forum and have learned a lot from everyone. I really enjoy gawking at everyone's beautiful pearl purchases as well. I recently bought a pearl necklace from a local jewelry store for $340 (including tax), but when I got home, I noticed three of the pearls are peeling near the drill hole. All three pearls are the at the back of the necklace near the clasp. Is this normal for freshwater cultured pearls or should I return the necklace? I'm happy about the size and luster but the peeling is disheartening for my first pearl necklace. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• DSC04761
    DSC04761
    48.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04773
    DSC04773
    37.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC04787
    DSC04787
    17.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC04796
    DSC04796
    24.5 KB · Views: 86
fluffypants, Welcome and,

NO! Pearls should not be peeling! Very bad sign. My guess is that these are Akoya pearls cultured with a round mother of pearl bead center. If some pearls are peeling, it means the nacre is very thin and soon other pearls probably will also peel because the whole strand has thin nacre. They will not stand up to very much wearing. What size are the pearls? What grade did the store say they are?

These don't look like cultured freshwater pearls to me, the shininess and roundness is more like Akoya. My other thought is that they could possibly be imitation pearls.

Have you tried rubbing two pearls gently against each other to see if they are gritty or smooth? (smooth means imitation.)

I feel you should return them immediately and request a refund. If you feel the store would fuss about giving your money back, take a big guy with you.

Good for you for taking a close look at your pearls. That much money can purchase a pearl strand that will be beautiful and wearable for many years.

I'm sure others will comment too.

Hi Pattye,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the very helpful reply. I'm not sure what size or grade they are. The jewelry store sales lady said they were freshwater pearls. The pearls are gritty when I rub them together. I will definitely return this pearls, I just wish the jewelry store was open on Monday! I'm a little worried about the return, hope it goes OK. I will be getting a Pearl Paradise Freshadama necklace once I get my return.

Hi Fluffipants,

These look like imitation pearls to me. I would defenetly take them back. For this price you could get fantastic quality freshwater pearls from on-line vendor. Check out the on-line vendors who post here in the forum. I have bought a freshwater pearl necklace from Pearl Paradise http://www.pearlparadise.com/ and am very happy with it. Have recieved many compliments wearing those pearls ;)

The only time you might get something which would look like peeling around the drill hole of a freshwater pearl is when circles of nacre break off when drilling- but the operative is that it happens when drililng, not later on. Unless it looks like that you have some suspect pearls
I note that they are gritty so they are probably real Akoya which have poor nacre (too thin) does it look like this is what is going on?
$340 seems a lot for these pearls, if they are freshwater but then I am not in the USA..is that what a B and M would charge?

$340 seems a lot for these pearls, if they are freshwater but then I am not in the USA..is that what a B and M would charge? Never miss out a deal from the Giant Ad if you really want to save on grocery items. Check out the Giant Eagle Ad if you want to see more.

Yes, I agree Wendy, but probably not unusual. Most B&M's mark up is minimum 3x what they pay for an item.

A few years back my Sis showed me a long strand of Akoyas her husband traded for several thousand dollars of construction work. Almost every pearl had thin nacre and many were peeling; she said she'd only worn them a few times. I felt terrible, but she could see the peeling once it was pointed out...so I gave her some freshwaters to wear frequently, and she saves the Akoyas for special occasions as they have lots of sentimental value.

Fluffypants, be firm about wanting a refund, not an exchange. Let us know how it goes~good luck! Seriously, if you are not very comfortable about doing returns, take someone with you to back you up.

Freshadamas are a great choice!

Last edited:
Ah It turns out the jewelry store put a drop of glue at those two knots. I looked at it with the magnifying glass and the knots did look shiny compared to the rest of the knots. She washed the glue residue off and apologize profusely. I'm glad because the store was really nice and honest before.

Fuzzypants,
Thank you for the update on this issue. Relieved to hear it was only glue. Not more serious like the pearls themselves peeling. Happy to hear that the store took care of you, to make things right as it should be. Hope you will wear & enjoy them.

Cheers

Back