New kid on the blog

Z

Zeide Erskine

Hi Folks,

I was just browsing the Google news to see what is new in pearl world and found a write-up for this site http://www.bemypearl.com.
Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
That is Sascha, Alex777. He came on to the forum a little more than a year ago seeking advice on Zhuji. He has been purchasing and selling pearls for quite a few years, actually, I just helped putting him online. He is a good guy and an honest one - I like those.

PS
He is not using our pictures. He leased time in our studio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zeide

Hi Zeide

Hi Zeide, I guess you noticed our press release. Anyway I just wanted to say hi, and say that Jeremy has been great with us and helped us quit a bit with the e-commerce part of our business. He is person who understands that good and honest competition is good for all business, and that in todays world especially e-commerce their is plenty of space and opportunities for everyone to do well.

It is not quite as easy as that being an Internet based company. The product mix really must appeal to the widest demographic. That mix is the classic style.
By creating a lot of design-type pieces, and utilizing baroque pearls, it is hard to sell to everyone.

The way I look at it is like this. The product needs to be appealing to most, not just a few. Sure, there are buyers for anything. But I do not want designs on my Site that may be aesthetically pleasing to only 5-10% of consumers.

There are Sites that specialize in that sort of product mix. Like take FusionPearl.com for example. The pieces are more unique. She has a great niche, but her target demographic is much more narrow.

When it comes to the product purchasing volume is also an important consideration. You mentioned before that you could not fathom how we priced the freshadama so low, but I am sure you know why. It is a volume game. Our margins do not have to be high because we consistently ship 1-300 packages each day. The volume goes into the buying as well, which equates to low cost.

If we were to purchase and sell (what we consider to be) lower end goods, the gold clasp would always cost more than the pearls, as would the stringing and shipping. The typical freshwater pearls, for example, that you see at nearly every B&M jewelry store in America costs no more than a few dollars per strand in China (jewelry grade 4-7), and often much less than a dollar for true "beading grade".

Lastly, everyone has different tastes. One design may appeal to you, and another may find it grotesque. It would be an online logistical nightmare to offer something for everyone. Too many options really do kill the sale.

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Alex,

I hope some day honest competition will also include offering different designs. I would appreciate it so much if at least some of you online pearl sellers would venture into some more unique pieces especially in baroques. The bare minimalism is fine and well but not inspiring.

Zeide

Some of us are Zeide! :D

On "jshepherd:" I second Alex review. I don't know the fellow outside of this forum, only, having read almost all his posts I came to the same conclusion about him. One can see that he gives suggestions as well as informs other sellers on how to go about setting and/or creating pieces.

Very few in the industry are of his caliber.

Classic pearl jewelry vs. unique pearl designs

Classic pearl jewelry vs. unique pearl designs

Zeide, I agree with you to a certain extent. I personally like unique designs as well. I actually like a lot of different designs. But that is exactly the problem. Into what areas do you venture out? Especially in e-commerce you can go into so many different areas with pearls, that eventually you will lose the focus and the core of your business. We stick with the classic designs, because we know that they work for us. And what I mean with that is that our customers want these classic designs year in and year out. Just look at this month Harper's Bazaar. On the cover is Natalie Portman wearing Audrey Hepurn"s dress and a beautiful classic multi strand necklace. (Ok it's not the original or even real pearls. What a shame!) But my point is that what worked back in 1961 when Hepburn wear that necklace in Breakfast at Tiffany's, still works today and will work in 20 years from now.

Back