Neep help selecting pearls!

blabetron

Hey guys,

For my 1 year anniversary, I would like to buy my girlfriend a decent set of pearls. I know she doesn't have a set, and I think she would enjoy them. My question is, where the heck do I begin to find some for her?

I have done some research on the different kinds, grades, colors, and sizes, but what should I look for? Is grade more important than the type?

I am looking for an 18" necklace, preferably a creamy pinkish to white color, and have a budget of $150. Is this reasonable? Remember, I am not looking for the finest pearls on the planet, just something my girlfriend can wear on an appropriate occasion.

Thanks so much!

$150 should be more than enough to get up to a AA+ 7-8mm freshwater 18" necklace (not including shipping), depending on where you buy.

We have lots of members who can fulfill your requirements, but if you were in Europe, you might prefer a European dealer...

Hey guys,

For my 1 year anniversary, I would like to buy my girlfriend a decent set of pearls. I know she doesn't have a set, and I think she would enjoy them. My question is, where the heck do I begin to find some for her?

I have done some research on the different kinds, grades, colors, and sizes, but what should I look for? Is grade more important than the type?

I am looking for an 18" necklace, preferably a creamy pinkish to white color, and have a budget of $150. Is this reasonable? Remember, I am not looking for the finest pearls on the planet, just something my girlfriend can wear on an appropriate occasion.

Thanks so much!

It's hard to say whether grade is more important than type, it really depends on the look you're going for, but based on your budget, you are going to get a lot more value for your dollar with freshwater pearls. You "could" find an akoya strand for $150, but either the nacre would be thin, or the quality quite poor.

Within the freshwater category, you would have quite a lot of options available. The question would be whether you are looking for something more unusual, artistic or classic. Once you narrow that down, options such as color, quality and size are easier to decide.

On the unusual, but still beautiful side, you could go with something like a coin pearl strand. Coin pearls are flat, but typically exhibit sharp luster and strong orient.
Kojima - http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products...te-coin-pearls

If she is the type that appreciates design and more one-of-a-kind pieces, there are a number of designers/artists that work with freshwater pearls, combining elements like leather, metals and stones.
Patricia Saab - http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/stud...ciasaabdesigns

For the classic look, a strand of round to near-round freshwater pearls would work as well. Within in your budget, you could go for a smaller, 6-7 mm size that is going to be more on the conservative side, or a slightly larger 7-8 mm size that works for the every day look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back