Need some help with this unusual clasp?

BrendaKY

Community member
I got these for just a few dollars at an estate on line auction. The bells were very intriguing. I am pretty sure these are real pearls. Gritty on teeth and I think natural freshwater Chinese pearls. The hues are pink and golden. Very beautiful and about 50 inches in total. Haven’t measured them yet. My curiosity is the clasps? Very primitive made I think maybe brass with maybe a painted coating? Very odd looking. I can’t really tell how the pearls are attached inside? Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Your thoughts please.

Attachments

• IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    943.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5401.jpeg
    IMG_5401.jpeg
    945.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    992.7 KB · Views: 45
Base metal end cones I think, and these often have a bar or ring inside the cone that the needle and thread or wire can be passed through.
Cones are often used when stringing multiple small strands together; not sure why there were used for this necklace.

I saw a few like these so loong ago down here in Mexico. Yes, it works the way @Pearl Dreams explains.
Very rough work on the clasp.

Base metal end cones I think, and these often have a bar or ring inside the cone that the needle and thread or wire can be passed through.
Cones are often used when stringing multiple small strands together; not sure why there were used for this necklace.
Yes the cones are pretty ugly for sure. Thank you for the explanation. Was I correct with the identification of the pearls?

Back