Need help identifying a few more pieces please

Karman

First, thanks to everyone for identifying my mother's pearls. :)
I went through my small collection and while I know which pieces are freshwater, I'm not sure of these ones...could in bother you all to help again?

IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg

The quality of the settings might be a clue (are they sterling, 14k gold?) Also, do you know where they're from and when they were purchased? Round freshwaters are fairly new for the most part, for example.

Size clue: Pearls larger than 9.5-10mm are not going to be akoyas.
Shape clue: Eggy shaped pearls will be freshwaters as they don't have a bead inside to make them fully round.

You may also want to test for genuine nacre vs. imitation pearls. When rubbed gently together or against the edge of your front tooth, genuine pearls will feel a bit gritty/a bit resistant while imitation pearls will slide easily.

I know they are all genuine, they were purchased from a jewelry store based online in Hong Kong (I think they also have a physical location) and I've done the tooth test.
All are 14k gold setting except the ring which is sterling. These were a gift from my husband about 8? 7? Years ago...
They all look round to me, but I have also thought some pearls are round when they were actually. Off-round!

Probably the silver ring has a freshwater pearl.

Some of the pearls in the bracelet look eggy, but I find that photos sometimes distort shapes.

Price can also be an indicator. Your husband may have receipts for them stashed away for insurance purposes, or may remember what he paid for them. Akoyas will cost more than freshwaters.

Probably the silver ring has a freshwater pearl.

Some of the pearls in the bracelet look eggy, but I find that photos sometimes distort shapes.

Price can also be an indicator. Your husband may have receipts for them stashed away for insurance purposes, or may remember what he paid for them. Akoyas will cost more than freshwaters.

Thanks Pearl Dreams...the photo does look distorted. The pearls are much rounder in real life. They are very similar to the Akoya strand you all helped me identify, but look less lustrous than that strand when placed next to it.

I don't remember the exact price he told me (and I doubt he kept the receipts all these years) but I believe the bracelet and earrings were $400-$500 total. Needless to say, it was no small sum of money for a man in between university degrees! I don't know how the price of pearls have fared in the last 7-9 years, so not sure if the $400 back then is equivalent to the same price now.

I also refuse to buy pearls from mall retailers (the same way I feel about diamonds) so I really don't have a realistic gauge of what freshwater would cost!

Akoyas are routinely pinked and I find that my freshwater pearls are all a bit warmer toned than the akoyas. If you place your pearls on a white background next to known-freshwaters you may see a difference in tone. That can also be a clue.

Whatever they are, they were gifts of love and are real pearls.

Akoyas are routinely pinked and I find that my freshwater pearls are all a bit warmer toned than the akoyas. If you place your pearls on a white background next to known-freshwaters you may see a difference in tone. That can also be a clue.

Whatever they are, they were gifts of love and are real pearls.

Thanks! I agree, I love them regardless of what they are as they're beautiful..I was curious, that's all :D

Back