Need expert opinions on another strand

SuddenlyAddictedToPearls

Community member
I'm looking to buy 2 new strands. A new higher end, and a used strand that I don't have to worry about.
Anyway, I'm thinking about this one from a personal sale.
I know the photo's not very good, but can you please give me any opinions?
thanks!!

Attachments

• Craigslistpearls.jpg
    Craigslistpearls.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 63
Please could you give us some indication of the pearl type, and size?

The photo is small and it is difficult to see the details such as surface finish and lustre.

Colour looks creamy to me, and does not appear to be a very good match, however that could be the lighting.

DK :)

Hi dkan
I've just been told that the pearls are about 7mm in size and 65cm long (25 inches??? It doesn't look this long in the photo)

SATP - do they have other photos for these? It would be good to see the size up closer.. there are about 60 pearls in the strand (sorry, on a short break and didn't count accurately) at 7mm = 420mm or 42cm - with knots and a clasp - about 18 inches.. I would be checking again.
And I wouldn't be buying anything without more detailed photographs..

Actually, why specifically a used strand? You can get new ones with certified specs for most freshwaters, unless you really like a particular one. It's not like pearls (apart from naturals and some Akoyas) actually increase in value. The wear and tear will also be significant if it was worn regularly by the previous owner.

Thanks
The reason I'm interested in this particular one is because it's only $50 and I just need a cheap strand for altering a bit

^ Agree.

By far, the most affordable option is often AAA freshwaters or Freshadamas. You can get an 6-7mm AAA 18" for about $100. You're getting more hassle than value if you look on ebay or go vintage.

Also, have you considered getting multicolored or colored pearls? I wanted a strand of "classic, everyday" white pearls. I ended up snagging some Freshadamas, but I really don't wear or love them as much as I thought I would. I still use them, but they aren't that special to me. I don't feel bad because I got my white Freshadamas for $100 (killer deal). I spent nearly $300 on some pink Freshadamas, and I wear them ALL THE TIME! They are so pretty and they match my skin perfectly. I get compliments all the time, and I've yet to find an outfit that doesn't match.

I think you have to learn the white pearl lesson on your own (other members warned me), but maybe you should just get an inexpensive white strand to try it out. I bet you that you'll find that it's not all that great. Then you can invest in cooler pieces, like baroque akoyas or pink freshadamas.

Thanks
The reason I'm interested in this particular one is because it's only $50 and I just need a cheap strand for altering a bit

Not worth it imo. Just don't go there. Go to TPO and see what specials they have for fun pearls. They have wonderful monthly deals and it's much better quality than what you'll find on ebay.

When you say altering did you mean restringing? If so you can get very nice beading quality on ebay for much less. They usually come in multiples and you can just do whatever you want! I do that all the time if I am not looking for gem quality. Now I just "bargain" hunt online with the specials if it's something really exceptional, otherwise I buy stuff I can play with since my basic collection is complete.

Depending on the quality of the clasp, 50 USD may be a bargain :)

Sometimes it is worth getting second hand strands just for the clasps alone.

DK :)

Actually that looks like a filigree fish hook clasp, but a closeup would be good.

Thanks

Have you tried Integrity.com for cheap pearls to try, alter and so on?
They have always some bargains going on and Doug is a member on this forum.:)

Back