Need advice on purchasing...

D

danaloo

Hello, everyone!

I'm in need of advice from some experts...all of you qualify from what I can tell as I have spent the last 2 hours reading the board.

I am looking for a GOOD quality pearl strand as a graduation gift for a friend. She doesn't like "big" jewelry, so I was wanting to get her a small strand of pearls. I was thinking about a 16 inch strand with 3 or 4mm, white pearls. She's VERY petite and has a scrawny neck. :) I think she might actually wear a "delicate" strand of pearls.

I've been all over the net and to Tiffany's with no luck. What would be be the best type of pearl to get? I've been looking at akoyas, especially the hanadamas (?sp). Wow...those are AMAZING!

I want to spend about $500. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Dana

Hi Dana,

I recommend that you go to some jeweler stores first to get a good look how small 3-4mm pearls really are. If your friend is really that dainty, you will probably get the best possible gift set by purchasing a choker, bracelet, and earrings in the smallest available freshadamas. That will also give you some color options. I seriously doubt that there are any 3-4mm hanadama pearls to be had at any price. Making nuclei that small is not cost effective. Any akoya strand that small would probably be a custom piece that has to be assembled from individual replacement pearls for graduated strands. You would not be getting a good value for your money on such a basis.

Zeide

I have a multi-strand of pearls from my grandmother that my friends just loves. I've never had them appraised. I think they are freshwater.

I was just wondering if smaller akoyas would "hold up" over time considering their nacre.

I guess I'll just have to get her a bigger strand.

Thanks!!

Hi Danaloo,

Your friend may not like "big" jewelry but she might not like "tiny" either and 3-4mm is really tiny. 7-8mm is not as big as you may think and in the right quality it has the subtle glow generally associated with delicate jewelry. (delicate/classy/timeless)

By "scrawny" I take it you really mean swanlike/long/slender (!!) and if so 7-8mm will look perfect but if you mean bony/scraggy a 3-4mm will only draw attention to the "scrawniness". Bearing in mind that even the "scrawniest" of necks are likely to thicken with age, I'd say 3-4mm is too "dainty".

If your friend is extremely petite and fine featured, 7-8mm earrings might be on the big side and the same might apply to a multi-strand necklace unless the pearls are very small.

With $500.oo to spend, I think your best bet is top quality freshwater. Have you checked out the "freshadama"?

But why not just give her your gran's necklace, if you know she really loves it, unless you have very good reason to think it is worth more than you are willing to give.

Keep us posted!

I faced a similar issue when I decided to buy pearls for someone of fairly petite stature. I made an image similar to the one below to compare mm sizes.
The top line is 3 mm circles. The lower line is 6 mm. Although they may not show up at exactly those sizes depending on your computer and monitor settings, the relative size difference will still be apparent. Pardon me while I indulge in a little math :rolleyes: 6 mm pearls are not "twice as big" as 3 mm. The cross-section of the spheres would actually be 4 times as large, and total pearl volume would be 8 times larger. And, as you can see, the visual impact is significantly different as well.
Freshadamas do seem to be a good way to go for quality and beauty. Definitely give Pearl Paradise a call and see what they can do for you.

Attachments

• mmcomp.gif
    mmcomp.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 56
I would have to agree that a 6.0mm to 7.0mm Freshwater pearl is a good choice. However, you might also consider going in the other direction.

My wife is also petite and you would be surprised at how good pearls that are 10mm - 12mm look on her.

So, while a full strand of 10-12mm pearls may be outside your price range, there is another great alternative - a single 11mm or 12mm Golden South Sea pearl on a gold chain. Very classy and a favorite of my "petite" wife :D

personally I've never really come across a grown woman of any size that really looks good in anything smaller then a 7mm strand. Wearing pearls that are too small does not make a good look, you're better off not wearing them at all. For your budget I would suggest going with a AAA 7mm Akoya strand in 16" and see how that looks in person, then you can make a decision to go bigger or smaller - I'm willing to bet you won't want to go smaller.

Back