natural pearls drilling

MILLEPERLE

Using the Japanese drilling machine I keep crack the pearls!! (conch, clam, cassis)..
There is anybody that can advise me how to drill them without damages?
thank you
Marco

Are you changing the drill bits often (after every pearl)? They get blunt very quickly
You may be overheating the pearl. try drilling for three or four seconds then stopping to let the pearl cool down for a minute or longer

Wow, Daniel, is that a very expensive set up?

haha yes its not cheap it does work verry nice and because the costumer are paying a high price for there jewelry i think its important to have the best tools

when i work with my own stones and pearls i dont really care if i break them :p only when they are a costumers i better keep them nice :p

i have the nsk presto aqua

http://www.nsk-nakanishi.co.jp/en/dental/product/laboratory/pr050202.html

I saw this thread a bit late, but I did drill a natural pearl and here is how I did:
- low speed 1500 tours,
- hollow diamond bit
- water flow through the hollow bit constantly
- count "one, two" down and "three" up the drilling
I did it that way already and there were no crack, it works, but it is better not to drill ayway.
I have seen the most amazing natural pearls at Baseworld by Lan?on and they made a private visit of their collection to me, they do not drill, the setting is intended to "wrap" around the pearl and has to be clever so that not to look like plain wired jewelry.
Good luck

As a comment on drilling in general - I happened on a very skilled pearl supplier drilling some 20mm + stick pearls lengthways last week . He was using a standard two chuck pearl drill and the bits were simple chisels which he sharpened on a spinnng whetstone after every few pearls drilling.jpg

Back