My unfinished pearls

waimeamomi

Natural Pearl
Hereʻs a new piece Iʻm working on. Inspired by the thread on tin cups, I started doing a trial run piece, but it it turned into Tin Cup Gone Wild, influenced by the rope threads. Basically these are 8mmish Tahitians and smaller Tahitian keishis. Theyʻre all Kamokaʻs and are MUCH nicer, shinier, and greener in person The first 2 pics are a double wrap creating either a 2 strand or a variation of the tin cup. I know this isnʻt finished, but Iʻll throw it out there for suggestions and comments. Iʻm thinking about any or some of these as a next move - adding more pearls by hanging some keishis, making the keishis bigger (alas this used all my non-Tahitians for right now),adding a South seas as the bottom pearl, adding some gemstones, making it longer, buying some more Tahitians and further endangering my daughters college money, or scrapping it altogether and going back to a tin cup. Hmmmm. :confused:

Attachments

• ropemed2.jpg
    ropemed2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 50
  • ropeshort.jpg
    ropeshort.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ropelong.jpg
    ropelong.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 49
SUHweet! ;) So, it's doubled in the first photos, but is really one long necklace? It's versatile and I love the colors. I'd say stop while you are ahead because it might be too busy with additions. But rules are made to be broken and you might go in a new direction that could be better. Hah! What fun!

Yes, one long necklace. At the least Iʻm going to try to figure out a way to reposition the pearls because when it is doubled, one of the round pearls winds up in the back under your hair, and that seems like a waste. I feel like in the long version the pearls donʻt have enough presence, and the shirt my daughter is wearing doesnʻt really help show the rope.

I'm with Blaire. Less is more. It's beautiful just like it is.

Love, love, love this one long! The pearls are gorgeous, and the chain adds a lot of interest, too!

Might be fun to have an enhancer pendant of large Tahitian to hang on it when doubled as a variation---------?? Kamoka pearls are so gorgeous, they don't need anything much extra, IMO

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

The only suggestion I can come up with is to vary the lengths of chain to make it asymetric.
The temptation is to fiddle with it though, rather than leave as is or make a decision with a plan.
You could put a couple of pearls on enhancers then add them to make the dangles you mentioned (and they can then go as pendants on a chain or on any other necklace too - always a good idea)

It has plenty of presence for me as is. Wouldn't change one bit.

If you want to see more of some pearls in particular and the strand has a center (i.e. it maters in what position is worn, which seems to be the case), there is an age old solution to that: place the more interesting pearls in the usual neckline area (where there are some keshi now), then allow a relatively 'bland' few until the centerpiece. At lest that's the 'strategy' used by many Arts & Crafts rope necklaces that also had to grapple with the issue that the centerpiece of a very long chain falls below the focal point on the wearer's figure (which isn't down to the waistline, hopefully).

Just a tuppence thought...

What do you call this type of chain? It goes very nicely with the keshi ;)

Thanks, this is great feedback. I had thought about an enhancer also, or some type of removable pendant. I also like the asymmetrical idea, and that would probably help the pearls not to be so lined up when you wrap it around the neck. I think the chain is called a bar and link chain. I really like using it for this kind of project because if you do want even lengths of chain, itʻs so EASY to count. It also has presence and you can hang things from it. This is gold-filled, and I would much rather do it in 14k (or 18k, I wish). I actually did this more as a "mock-up" design, because I could easily do it in so many different ways using the same basic style, different size pearls, different colors, gemstones, different metals. Iʻm going to play with it a little more, and Iʻll post again. I also have to order more wire, I always seem to be out of something, small timer here. Mahalo nui loa as we say here (thank a bunch). Sheryl

I love the design as is. I'd love one at 60+inches, so I could have long doubles and triples--play to my heart's content! It's really lovely. :)

Back