My tiny but growing collection...

Heidi

Kasumi earrings from DruzyDesign; photos used with Carolyn's permission. I love these. The pearls measure 13.2x14.5mm and 13.5x14.5mm and look just awesome dangling from the sunburst wires. They really are breathtaking!!

Attachments

• kasumi-care-1.JPG
    kasumi-care-1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 56
  • kasumi-care-4.JPG
    kasumi-care-4.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 57
  • kasumi-care-2.JPG
    kasumi-care-2.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 65
Oooh, lovely, Heidi,
They look good enough to eat.....

Well, I was going to say YUM! But I got beat to it. It looks like your tiny collection is of high, high quality and rarity.

Yeah,
Start as you mean to go on Heidi.:)

Kasumi earrings from DruzyDesign; photos used with Carolyn's permission. I love these. The pearls measure 13.2x14.5mm and 13.5x14.5mm and look just awesome dangling from the sunburst wires. They really are breathtaking!!

Jennifer Dow (wats2luv) also has FW something of this colour. Link here. Is it easy to tell the difference?

Jennifer Dow (wats2luv) also has FW something of this colour. Link here. Is it easy to tell the difference?

You're right - The orient and texture look very similar. The color in the Chinese FW looks more white/bronze but my earrings have pink overtones with the white and bronze. Are these from the same hybrid even though they're cultivated in different ways? I'm not yet conversant with which species are precisely where. I am currently waiting on a pack of Kasumi information from Kojima Pearl to hone my knowledge base...

Hello Everyone - And thanks for the compliments on those earrings. I think they really are the star of my collection at the moment.

Since it's a sunny day in Oregon (rare!) I took some photos of my loot.

Here's the first and a style very different from the earrings above. It's a sterling silver ring by Tom and Nancy Myers - lost wax casting. The color in these photos is pretty good on that pearl, at least on my monitor (poor ring needs to be polished).

Attachments

• tom-nancy-ring-2.jpg
    tom-nancy-ring-2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
  • tom-nancy-ring-3.jpg
    tom-nancy-ring-3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yet another very different style in my jewelery box.

This graduated pearl strand was given to my mom by her mom in 1959. It was purchased at Zell Bros. in Portland, OR. I had it restrung last year after getting it appraised and have only worn it for a few hours in an attempt to get the strand to relax. Sadly it's more of a collection piece than something I wear just because it's not my personal style.

It's 20" long with the original shortener (color not matched perfectly to the strand) - there are 95 3.45-7.25mm cultured pearls. They are very light cream with very light rose overtones and have a medium luster, are slightly off-round and very slightly blemished.

Attachments

• graduated_1.jpg
    graduated_1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0119-1.jpg
    DSC_0119-1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 75
A little more my style, here is the set given to me by my grandma for my 16th birthday. I've worn these so much they're almost a part of me.

It's a 16" keishi pearl choker (abt 2.5-3mm) and the stud earrings are a good color/orient match and, guessing, abt. 6.5mm. They were put together by Jeanie Ritz, a jeweler in Portland, OR. I've had them restrung a few times and they are due again. The color looks great on - I have very light olive skin and the cool tones of the orient on white pearls just shines like crazy. The choker looks more yellow/warm hued in the photos than it does in person.

In the years since, I have wondered why I didn't choose the massive (probably 11mm) untreated pink baroque pearls she showed me that day, since it was all my choice (Nana was all over not buying Akoyas so I had some financial latitude). It's funny, though: I chose something totally appropriate for a 16 year old, not a show-stopper.

Attachments

• nana-set-1.jpg
    nana-set-1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 66
  • nana-set-2.jpg
    nana-set-2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 73
Here is something in yet another style. It's an antique pendant which has been floating around in my family for years. I have never had it appraised and am not familiar with this kind of metal work. Perhaps someone out there knows more?

From the weight/feel, it's probably a lower karat gold. The metal color tends toward rose gold in the leaves. The tiny seed pearl is pretty but only precious in light of the composition of the whole piece, I think. It needs a new bale so that I can wear it...and seems to be missing a frame for a photo which would fit on the back. The photo shows the funky old box in which it has been housed for as long as I can remember.

Attachments

• ant-pendant-1.jpg
    ant-pendant-1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 67
Here's the last one I'll post at the moment. :)

It's a 9mm baroque Tahitian pendant from The Pearl Outlet. It came on the black cord which is a little too long for some necklines on me plus I am a little insecure about losing it so will probably wear it on a 16" gold chain. It has green to peacock overtones toward the top of the pendant and more silver to grey on the main body of the pearl and there's a little blemish on one side near the circle.

I really like this a lot but of course now I need Tahitian earrings to go with it. The accumulation never ends, does it? I love interesting metal work in my jewelery but the more I wear pearls the more I am fascinated by them and prefer them to other items I own.

Attachments

• 9mm-tahitian-1.jpg
    9mm-tahitian-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 9mm-tahitian-2.jpg
    9mm-tahitian-2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 9mm-tahitian-3.jpg
    9mm-tahitian-3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 62
Heidi,

nices pieces, every one of them but I think that the Tahitian pendant really has a charming shape, very intriguing!

A quick pre-lunch post. This is my new city strand. It's a very light ivory with light silver overtones. I love the long strand because I get to see it while I work. This photo was just taken sitting at my desk under fluorescent lights with a dash of daylight coming in from the left of the frame, so nothing special to bring out the beauty of these pearls.:)

Attachments

• IMG_4680_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4680_edited-1.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 60
BTW: colors in the environment that they're picking up include a dark green dress I am wearing, a big manila envelope and some color photos/posters on the creamy yellow wall behind me.

Heidi,

Guess I missed your photos of 4-12. All very lovely--such sentimental pieces. Especially love the locket! And the charming Tahitian pendant!

Oh my, that City strand----magnificent! So glad you decided to get it! Maybe I will get to see it in person someday!!

yay city strand! I have mine on today, too, so now I am busy looking at BOTH of our strands instead of working. Yours is super pretty, I like the ivory (and the notes of manila...hahaha).

Hi Pattye -
Yes, one of these days I hope we get to cross paths again soon! It's funny how I dithered about getting this necklace - it's easily one of the more wearable and full of presence single jewelery items I have. I'm thinking of it as my "promotion strand" as I plan on wearing it for a couple big presentations coming up.

Hi Elisa -
I figured I should mention that big manila envelope when I saw how much yellow was in that photo. Really, these are Not yellow pearls at all... ;) In your spirit, I have had fun playing dress up to see how this looks with various outfits.

Oh that city strand is so lovely! May we see a neck shot? Stunning pearls!
I love your other pieces too!

Back