My Sea of Cortez Pearl

Karman

Back in January, I was ogling some of the loose Sea of Cortez pearls and pendants that druzydesign had for sale on eBay. I was *this* close to getting one of the fatter drop shaped vermeil pendants that they had for sale, but I just couldn't do it at the time (spent way too much $$ on pearls).

Just recently, I went back to look and sadly it was gone. There was a loose unset pearl that caught my eye though, and I probably would've never given it a chance when I hadn't tried to make jewelry yet (I could take it to a jeweler of course, but would but much too hard wouldn't it? ;)). But it went on sale on eBay so I pulled the trigger and bought it.

Here it is:
IMG_0768.JPG

I don't often find pearls to look as great IRL as they do in photos, but this one is a stunner. I was quite happy with it. Even under my horribly bright kitchen spot lights, it was a beauty.

I always loved the combo of blue/grey and rose gold, so I knew I wanted to set this pearl with rose gold findings and chain. I was initially going to set it with bead caps and pegs on both ends and make it into a solitaire necklace but when the pearl arrived the other findings hadn't yet, so I decided to just pick up another rose gold chain and wire wrap a quick pendant with some of my leftover pink amethyst and a purple crystal. Here is the result:

IMG_0770.JPG

The end loops are a bit big but I think I'm going to leave it *in case* I happen to stumble upon a pretty keshi or small drop. Here's another photo under better lighting in my bedroom which showcases the colours well:

IMG_0776.JPG

And here it is on the neck (and under bad office lighting):

IMG_0780.JPG

I'm so happy I pulled the trigger on this lovely pearl...now I can see why Cortez pearls are admired by so many! The colours are truly mesmerizing.

Oh it's BEAUTIFUL. I love the spacing, the amethyst with the pearl and daily dangles. It does look perfect on you!

Thank you Pearl Dreams, mm, and pattye!

Yes pattye--I'm already looking forward to the next batch of SoC pearls to be harvested. I hope druzydesign gets more! I've been checking the official Sea of Cortez pearl site, too :)

Lovely pearl and beautifully done, Karman. I really admire all of you ladies who can wire wrap and put pieces together like this.

Karman,
You did it again such a beautiful necklace and play of colors. I love it!

Absolutely beautiful! I must learn to wire wrap as I have a few nice loose pearls.

baby nurse, BW, Naan, Jersey, Pearly-Whites,LV, mrsadm - thank you!

I am glad I didn't wait for the findings I ordered to arrive--the bead caps I ordered were too small! Oops.

The simple wire wrapping I've been doing has been pretty easy to do so far, especially if it's for straight forward pieces like this. I think you can definitely do it yourself once you get some supplies and tools! I looked up videos on YouTube (Beaducation were my favs) and they were very helpful.

Love it! Beautiful work and it looks so great on you. Those pearls are completely captivating.

Beautiful! Sea of Cortez pearls are my favorite type, they're so special. And Druzy Design has such great stuff!

Thank you MSC, SunSeeker, GemGeek, Kat, battah and lilliefuzzysocks!

battah - I totally agree with you, I think they're my new favourite too... their colours are amazing!

Back