My new pendant project with interchangeable pearl drops and gemstones as bale

dkan 168

Hi peeps,

Just realised I posted about this project in another board first, and not on PG, sorry! :eek:

This is my replacement 50th birthday present for myself for next year, as my Wilma Flintstone necklace project has not been too successful (the spec for the necklace will need to be revised in order to have a chance of finding more suitable pearls, or the project canned altogether).

The inspiration for the interchangeable gemstone as bale came from a ring with screw-on gemstones. Here is a conceptual drawing of the design:

attachment.php

Jeff White of Whitesgems is going to cut a 9mm approx. Rubellite Tourmaline and a 9mm approx. White Topaz for me for the bale.

Two pearl drops have already been purchased, both from Agustus-Collection, here are Sven's photos, first a 17mm+ Tahitian, and a 18mm+ Sea of Cortez Mabe (it will be set the other way up in a bezel setting):
attachment.php
attachment.php

I am hoping to purchase a white SSP about the same size as the Tahitian from Sven later this year to complete the set for the time being.

Looking forward to wear the finished article next year!

DK :)

I look forward to watching your project progress to eventual neck shots!

Last edited:
What a fantastic idea! I am sure it will be lovely! Looking forward to photos of the finished piece.

JerseyPearl, thanks for the laugh!

LOL JerseyPearl!

DK, I've just realized how much more organized and professional I could be being with my plans and projects...

This diagram is totally inspiring me right now!

Thanks peeps for the kind words.

Sadly, this and all other jewellery projects may be put on hold, as I am likely to divert the jewellery fund into something else that is going to get used more often.

Some of you already know I am a keen camper, as in camping in a tent, about 4 or 5 times a year for 6+ days for each trip. My current canvas tent has nearly 40 pegging points and is very stable in stormy conditions, however it is taking a lot of time and effort to put up. Getting older certainly does not help!

Hence I am looking at getting a new tent for my birthday instead, a Karsten canvas inflatable tent, together with the add-ons and modifications, it will cost a small fortune! However, it takes much less efforts to put up, and the build quality is top notch. If the manufacturer allows, and I am hoping they will, then it will be dark green and burgundy, to match my car which is red and lime green :D

I am also planning to defer my extended trip to Beijing when I visit Hong Kong next year, and to stay away from the end of November jewellery fair that is being held there every year, so that I can save the money toward the new tent instead.

Just need to build up the strength at the gym to be able to lift 30kg+ by Easter next year, the start of my camping season.

Don't laugh, however, I joined a gym recently, the first time in my entire life, so that I can improve my fitness and strength in order to continue to enjoy camping the way I like it, and to lift a heavier tent! A not so common motivation in joining a gym I am sure, however, it is a motivation nonetheless.

I shall complete the purchase the gemstones and the remaining white SSP pearl for the pendant, so that they are ready for setting etc., just in case I win the lottery!

DK :)

DK, I fully support the camping life, as I'm camping now ... with my pearls LOL. I do confess we are in a travel trailer with all amenities ... but I still long for, and miss, my old HEAVY blue and orange canvas tent ... We spent many happy years together :) Best luck.

I love your creative drive and thoroughness, DK!

Geez, JerseyPearl, that was a coffee-up-the-nose laugh! I wish you'd give us a heads-up when you're going to be so funny...what a great first thing in the morning lol !

DK,

If you are not emotionally attached to the Karsten canvas tents, I have a Eureka (which is a synthetic fabric tent) that honestly I can put up by myself in about 5 minutes. All you do is clip the poles together (there are 2 of them which crisscross), push them through the fabric tubes, and the ends clip into grommets at the four corners of the tent. The fly just clips over top. Mine is a 4-person tent and comfortably fits a queen sized inflatable mattress with lots of room on either side, although because we are in a chilly climate, I tend to use insulated self-inflatable mattress pads instead. The price point may still allow you to have your pendants too (I'm not sure how they compare to the Karsten tents in terms of price; I think I paid around $500 CAD for mine on a year end tent sale). I have weathered tornado force storms in mine without a single drop getting inside. It's light enough for car camping but I would not want to carry it along with food, clothes, and other gear in a backpack.

For backpacking, I use a 2-person Hubba Hubba as it's around 3 lbs and sleeps the two of us (although I have to admit that as we get older, it's getting to be a MUCH tighter fit for us both to be in it). It's also very easy to put up by myself without help (I don't know why, but I'm always the tent raiser, fire starter, chief coffee maker and cook). If I were buying it again I'd get the 3 person version for DH and I, and just tolerate the extra weight. My pack was about 30 lbs for a 3 day trip (13 - 14 kg) with the tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, dehydrated food, clothes, kettle, bowl, cup, and cutlery set, water filtration system (to avoid having to carry in water) and assorted other things needed for along the way. I'm not sure I would want to carry more unless it was wine...

Back