More GIA JOb Cuts

MWP

The cuts keep coming and salary reductions of up to 20% for the remaining workforce. When is it going to end? Here is the article..

Carlsbad, Calif.--The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) has cut its domestic workforce by another 9 percent in the face of the continuing global economic crisis that's wreaking havoc on the jewelry industry.

A GIA spokeswoman said the cuts, announced on Wednesday, would impact 103 GIA employees in the United States, 71 at the company's Carlsbad, Calif., headquarters and 32 at its New York offices.

The GIA employs a total of 1,143 workers in the United States.

In addition, all salaried employees will take a pay cut of up to 20 percent, while hourly employees will lose workdays.

The company's pension plan is frozen, the spokeswoman said.

The cuts come on the heels of the December layoffs at the GIA, in which the laboratory slashed its workforce by 11 percent and company executives took a 10 percent pay cut.

That equals a 20 percent reduction in the GIA workforce.

According to the spokeswoman, those cut on Wednesday will receive the same severance packaged offered to employees let go in December: full pay and benefits for 60 days and an additional two weeks of severance, plus one additional week for every year of service.

In addition, the GIA is offering job search assistance and unemployment information to those affected.

"We had hoped the first one would be it, but we made no promises," the spokeswoman told National Jeweler.

She said the lab has been "keenly impacted" by the global economic crisis, which has stalled diamond demand worldwide and was further hampered by the slow holiday season.

The GIA's global staff will remain intact, but an overseas hiring freeze is in place.

The funny thing is that I would guess most job cuts will affect the people that actually WORK and not the Bureaucracy (such is the way of the World)...and in these days of economic turmoil it would be of utter importance to have more real workers.
Why? If I am a Gem buyer and I want to invest in a certain product I will be more willing to have a Lab Certificate. Why again? Because money -more so- is scarce and you will shell it out on a good article, you will not simply waste it away on "junk gems". When money was not a concern I believe many people bought everything that was available...but with a constrained market one must make each decision count.
At least this is what I believe...but the world is indeed a strange place.

Back