Mom was holding out on me....

battah

I'm editing this post so I can get ID help, as I think my last subject line wasn't clear enough :)

My mom has had a 4-strand pearl necklace for a long time. It was a going-away gift from some friends, and I always assumed it was rice krispie pearls (albeit fat ones). She's been asking me to find her a diamond clasp for it, and today I asked her to see them (via Skype), since I wasn't sure diamonds were the way to go. NOW she tells me that her friends all chipped in to get this necklace, and one of them was a pearl expert and she's the one who took care of buying it. These are ladies who ordinarily gave each other gold jewelry (individually) on special occasions, so I would imagine if they all chipped in then it must have been a fairly pricey necklace. She said around 20 ladies contributed.

So, I'm thinking maybe these are naturals from the Persian Gulf? All I know of its provenance is that the necklace was purchased in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in 1986. Looks like the clasp is gold - I told mom to send me photos of it on a paper towel, etc, the usual photos. I'm excited to see what the photos turn up - I'll definitely post them! Is there anything we can do to get an idea of whether they're naturals? Will candling give some idea, if there's no visible nucleus? They're drilled and knotted, so I assume that'll be a challenge.

Looking forward to restringing these babies and playing with them!

Photos added below at post #7. I still need photos of the clasp from mom, but it looked exactly like the clasp on this bracelet: http://www.karipearls.com/basra-pearl-bracelet-3-strands.html

Last edited:
I will! Knowing her, it'll take her a month to get me photos! Ha.

Hi there, I'm not sure if anyone has ever pointed out Ben David clasps to this forum?

Here's a link to their catalogs: http://www.bendavidclasps.com/index.php
The one with the truly extraordinary clasps is the catalog on the right, (The Clasp Book 2012).
The further into the catalog your get, the more spectacular the pieces.

While the prices are eye-watering there is a comment on page one, "All styles are Triple Keystone based on $450 gold"
I think (not sure) that this means the published prices are the retail price, and the actual wholesale purchase price is 1/3 of retail.

There are so many cool clasps, your Mom could look through them with you and pick out the one that's best.

Look forward to seeing the pics of that necklace.

Just looking at really good photos will give us an idea and I for one cannot wait. Guess we all have to but it is not easy.

Good site Paul. But those prices hurt.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Thanks, all! I finally got some photos (though I still need her to take pics of the clasp - she showed it to me quickly on skype and I recall it was a gold lobster claw, which is why she wants to change it). Looking forward to playing with these in person! Do they look like naturals? I know nothing about natural pearls...

kiwipaul, thanks for the clasp info! I'll be looking around for something nice - she mentioned she wants gold and diamonds.

photo-3.jpgphoto-4.jpg

They look like early rice pearls as opposed to wildgrown natural pearls, but they will always look 'natural' to a lot of people who see them worn!

Eeek, I hope they aren't rice pearls, or those ladies got ripped off! I can't wait to see them in person and fiddle with them.

I'm trying to change the title of this thread to attract help with identifying these pearls, is that something I can do?

I seem to have a vague memory of rice crispies being expensive right when they hit the market. Does anyone actually know? :)

- Karin

A necklace of pearls like that was very expensive in the beginning. :)

Thanks, ladies! Caitlin, I guess it isn't necessary to change the title, sounds like there's some strong consensus! Thanks, though :)

Pattye, I didn't get a great look at them (again, just via Skype - mom will bring them the next time my parents visit), but she said they're ivory-colored. I see some peaches and pinks in there too, though.

Back