Mikimoto pearls

lizmonte1

My father recently gave me my mum’s Mikimoto pearls that he purchased for her in Japan while there during the Korean War. There is no clasp but they are sealed with wax and a paper Mikimoto emblem. What would be the best way to get them appraised and restrung so that my daughter can wear them on her wedding day? I’m an amateur in this process. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4226.jpegIMG_4227.jpeg

Find someone who strings pearls. And does appraisals. I am actually a “registered gemologist appraiser” who strings pearls. lol but I am not sure if you are local, and appraisals need to be signed in person. But finding someone local with my skill set, lol

You've got a vintage Mikimoto strand that has never been strung or worn - quite interesting. The seals are attached to the strand in order to import the pearls into the US without paying a duty. They are "temporarily strung for ease of transport." I have one of these in my personal collection.

You've got a vintage Mikimoto strand that has never been strung or worn - quite interesting. The seals are attached to the strand in order to import the pearls into the US without paying a duty. They are "temporarily strung for ease of transport." I have one of these in my personal collection.
Thank you for the information. That‘s interesting.

I would definitely keep the seals and take lots of pictures of them and the pearls together, as that is your only proof of provenance if you have no paperwork. You might want to decide whether you want to spend the money to have them appraised by Mikimoto and also buy a clasp from them. This way you have further documentation that they are authentic. If not, then you need an antique jeweler who can appraise them for the value of the pearls but also the vintage/antique value. Regular jewelers are unable to do that. The antique jeweler can have them strung and a regular jeweler can, as well.

I would contact Mikimoto and have them string them with a Mikimoto clasp.

I recently dealt with Miki's repair department and they were wonderful to worth with. Not cheap, but if you have authentic Miki's it's worth it, because Miki's hold their value.

Thank you for the info. I will look for a local appraiser.
I almost forgot, you need to find a suitable clasp. You’d likely want a mikimoto clasp, which is costly but attainable. May have to settle for a basic clasp if it isn’t a big deal to you but for them to be appraised as mikimoto pearls you’ll need to provide the photos of the seals, ect

I would contact Mikimoto and have them string them with a Mikimoto clasp.

I recently dealt with Miki's repair department and they were wonderful to worth with. Not cheap, but if you have authentic Miki's it's worth it, because Miki's hold their value.
This would definitely be the best course of action to maintain their integrity. 🤩

I would definitely keep the seals and take lots of pictures of them and the pearls together, as that is your only proof of provenance if you have no paperwork. You might want to decide whether you want to spend the money to have them appraised by Mikimoto and also buy a clasp from them. This way you have further documentation that they are authentic. If not, then you need an antique jeweler who can appraise them for the value of the pearls but also the vintage/antique value. Regular jewelers are unable to do that. The antique jeweler can have them strung and a regular jeweler can, as well.
Thank you! That’s great advice. I never thought of that.

Back