Mikimoto Pearls from ebay.

Pandora

I bought this 16" strand of Mikimoto pearls from ebay a couple of months ago.

I paid $300.

The clasp is sterling silver with the Mikimoto marks (M in the clam shell and silver below)

I had them restrung at Mikimoto in New Bond St, London and they dated them to the late 1940's.

There are 99 pearls and they are a pinky, ivory colour with a good sheen to them.

A few weeks later I bought a second 16" strand for $140. The seller didn't know they were Mikimoto, but posted a photo of the back of the silver clasp and the marks were there.

They are a cream colour, but the sheen is much less and they have an almost powdery look to them. Is this damage and can it be rectified or are some pearls just this way?

The nacre on both looks to be pretty thick and nicks and bumps are very minimal.

Did I do well on these purchases?:confused:

Here is a photo of the first strand.

pandorapearls11.jpg

pandorapearls31.jpg

pandora said:
They are a cream colour, but the sheen is much less and they have an almost powdery look to them. Is this damage and can it be rectified or are some pearls just this way?

I believe that Mikimoto has different qualities too, but it could well be that these pearls went through Hell.. or that the clasp does not match the strand, or the marks are fake.. or... By now, who could possibly know anymore? And even if you do go ahead to service and identify the strand at Mikimoto's, whether the pearls are from Mikimoto or not, that doesn't make them more shiny, does it.

The prices seem reasonable, but I wouldn't know whether an even better bargain is happening somewhere else online.

I wouldn't know what better answer to give, but others might.

Back