Miki Akoya and Coral Necklace - or is it?

charliefarlie

I am new to pearls being more of a gemstone gal but couldn't resist this little necklace from ebay. It's pretty as costume jewellery but was sold as Mikimoto Pearl and Coral. I have searched the internet for similar pieces and found nothing. Some help would be greatly appreciated. I plan to take to Mikimoto for a clean and don't really want to turn up with fakes!

The pearls feel rough on the tooth and are pretty uneven. I wouldn't expect this from new Akoya but the necklace is 33 years old so this may be what damage looks like. The coral is mainly pale pink/peach with some white bits. It is approx 14" long and the pearls are approx 5mm diameter.

There are no marks on the clasp and I have checked with a 10x loupe.

The pearls came in a Mikimoto box with completed Silver Seal guarantee booklet, seal with two reference numbers, and a leaflet showing a pearl and coral collection from Miki showing a necklace very similar to the one I bought.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_2350.jpgIMG_2347.jpgIMG_2361.jpgIMG_2363.jpg

Well, hum. I don't know. The pearls don't look like Mikimoto quality and the clasp doesn't have the Mikimoto trademark. On the other hand you have documenation. Take them to Mikimoto and they can tell you for sure. If all you had was the Mikimoto box, I'd think that someone just put a random necklace in the box. But if you have the documentation and the brochure, then I think you need a Mikimoto expert to take a look. It might be real, or it might be that someone make a copy of the real necklace.

Well, hum. I don't know. The pearls don't look like Mikimoto quality and the clasp doesn't have the Mikimoto trademark. On the other hand you have documenation. Take them to Mikimoto and they can tell you for sure. If all you had was the Mikimoto box, I'd think that someone just put a random necklace in the box. But if you have the documentation and the brochure, then I think you need a Mikimoto expert to take a look. It might be real, or it might be that someone make a copy of the real necklace.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Yes, quality doesn’t look great but I genuinely don’t know what good quality but badly cared for looks like. I called Mikimoto to enquire about cleaning so I will take them down when I am next in London and can get them to confirm or otherwise. The fact that they came with what looks like the original leaflet and the seal and guarantee is intriguing but as I know from collecting Hermes bags is that it’s the bag that makes it authentic not all the paraphernalia that accompanies it.
If I could find any of the other pieces from the collection it would help but I have searched and searched and found nothing.
On a positive note I have found this forum. Lost a few hours today educating myself and had a whale of a time.

Let us know what you find out from Mikimoto. It will educate all of us. Plus, I really want to know. It's a cool looking necklace, either way.

Let us know what you find out from Mikimoto. It will educate all of us. Plus, I really want to know. It's a cool looking necklace, either way.

Hi, I don’t get to London until Mid May so will call London and see if it’s possible to send the necklace down to them. I want them to give it a clean and maybe restringing and I am sure they’ll be the first to tell me if it isn’t what it is claiming to be.

I think it’s quite charming so whatever happens I will be wearing it. I quite like sleuthing and it’s a great entry into the slippery slope of the beautiful world of pearls.

Welcome to the forum and the beautiful world of pearls!
Look forward to hearing what Mikimoto say about your purchase.

I love this forum.
I am studying with Gem-A - UK gemmology and understand diamonds and am now doing diploma in coloured stones. On my last exam I had to identify a pearl and it was just something I hadn’t really looked at before. Needless to say one pearl was the difference between a distinction and a pass. I passed! So, this forum is amazing. I am also starting a pearlsasone course so that I won’t be flummoxed again. I am now looking at pearls in a different way. I need more!

I have one question. If pearls Mikimoto has a silver seal
Does this mean they aren’t good enough to be graded and would explain the uneven surface of my pearls?

I've never heard of a "silver seal" before. You'd have to ask Mikimoto. Miki doesn't even sell pearls that aren't good enough to be graded. The not Miki quality pearls are sold under a different brand name. I have some of their "B" quality pearls which were sold under the label Blue Lagoon, and they are perfect. No dings, nicks, or bad nacre. They're just not quite as good looking as "A" quality Mikis.

I've never heard of a "silver seal" before. You'd have to ask Mikimoto. Miki doesn't even sell pearls that aren't good enough to be graded. The not Miki quality pearls are sold under a different brand name. I have some of their "B" quality pearls which were sold under the label Blue Lagoon, and they are perfect. No dings, nicks, or bad nacre. They're just not quite as good looking as "A" quality Mikis.

I have so kuch to learn. I found the silver seal explanation on this site where it said ungraded! I just applied it to these pearl as they are far from perfect under 10x magnification. Maybe they are just fake after all.

Good Friday here in the U.K. so Mikimoto were closed. Will try again tomorrow.

Caveat: I’m a relative newcomer to pearls and far from an expert, but there sure seem to be a lot of flaws on those pearls and some of them don’t even appear round. That isn’t something I’d expect to find in Mikimoto pearls, even their lesser grade.

Back