Marking Identification Help Please

Pagan

IMG_6924.jpeg
IMG_6927.jpeg
IMG_6929.jpeg
IMG_6933.jpeg
IMG_6928.jpeg
My pearls were inherited from an Aunt and I have tried over the years to identify the makers mark without any success, so I would really appreciate any help you are able to offer. The pearls are graduated with the largest is approximately 5mms, the total length, excluding the fastening, is 48 cms, the clasp appears to have the same design both sides and the hook is marked with a slightly stylised M, I do not think it’s a W and 14k on the opposite side. I know the pearls would have been purchased in the States as that is where my Aunt lived from the late 1950’s. I attach a few images, I hope they are satisfactory and thank you in advance.
IMG_6924.jpeg
IMG_6927.jpeg
IMG_6929.jpeg
IMG_6933.jpeg
IMG_6924.jpeg
IMG_6927.jpeg
IMG_6929.jpeg
IMG_6933.jpeg
IMG_6928.jpeg

Pretty graduated akoya necklace!

The clasp appears generic, so the mark would be that of its manufacturer, and not indicative of a particular brand of pearls.

Pretty graduated akoya necklace!

The clasp appears generic, so the mark would be that of its manufacturer, and not indicative of a particular brand of pearls.
Hi there, thank you for the information, I do not have much knowledge of pearls although I own a couple of strands and earrings, they have all been inherited. Would you be able to tell me a little more about this strand please and would able to tell whether they are of value at all. Thank you again for your help.

We are often asked about the value of pearls people inherit.

Some people want to know if they need to insure them (i.e. replacement value.) Usually they don't need to be insured.

Others are hoping to sell the pearls. Resale value is lower than replacement value. (One buys at retail but sells at wholesale.)

Unless the pearls are a famous brand like Mikimoto or belonged to someone famous, their main value will be their sentimental or family value. Small pearls can make a nice gift for a young girl in the family, for example.

Generally speaking, pre-owned pearls do not tend to sell for much. But if that is what you want to do with them, check out SOLD pearl necklaces that are similar to yours on eBay. That should give you an idea of what you may expect them to sell for.

It looks like a nice strand of graduated pearls, as was popular in the 1950s, with a generic fishhook clasp. The M is probably the mark of the company that made the clasp, not the company that strung the pearls. The jeweler who strung the pearls would have bought the clasp from another company, just like beaders today buy clasps to put on their necklaces.

We are often asked about the value of pearls people inherit.

Some people want to know if they need to insure them (i.e. replacement value.) Usually they don't need to be insured.

Others are hoping to sell the pearls. Resale value is lower than replacement value. (One buys at retail but sells at wholesale.)

Unless the pearls are a famous brand like Mikimoto or belonged to someone famous, their main value will be their sentimental or family value. Small pearls can make a nice gift for a young girl in the family, for example.

Generally speaking, pre-owned pearls do not tend to sell for much. But if that is what you want to do with them, check out SOLD pearl necklaces that are similar to yours on eBay. That should give you an idea of what you may expect them to sell for.
Hi and thank you again for the useful information. Definitely not wishing to sell the pearls it was just a matter of interest, as mentioned I’m not very knowledgable so trying to find out as much as possible and value was to ascertain the need to, or not, insure. i will treasure them and enjoy wearing the pearls whatever the value.

It looks like a nice strand of graduated pearls, as was popular in the 1950s, with a generic fishhook clasp. The M is probably the mark of the company that made the clasp, not the company that strung the pearls. The jeweler who strung the pearls would have bought the clasp from another company, just like beaders today buy clasps to put on their necklaces.
Thank you for the information, the 50’s or 60’s fit with what I thought, my aunt was definitely one of the Girls with Pearls and rarely seen without a string and earrings

Back