Large Single South Sea Baroque for pendant project

dkan 168

Help please!

Much as I love to have a strand of large (16+mm) South Sea Baroque necklace, it is likely to remain on my wishlist indefinitely :(

However, I *should* be able to save up for a single large SS baroque pearl for a pendant in a couple of years' time.

Due to limited funds, the pendant setting will be custom-made to take interchangable drops, one will be the SS baroque.

I have seen and love one of those massive Paspaley baroques as seen in one of the threads on the forum, and have seen some (smaller ones) already set as jewellery pieces on the Stuller Paspaley site.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some indication on the price of a 20+mm (preferably around 25mm) SS baroque, and how I could go about aquiring one for my pendant project.

It won't be in the near future, as I already have an earring project on the go (diamond earring jackets around 20+mm diameter with interchangable studs, one pair of gem-quality white CFWP studs purchased so far), which may take at least another year or two to complete.

I need to find out if a 25mm SS baroque is within my reach for reality check :eek:, and whether I should continue to play EuroMillions lottery in the hope that I would win a sizable amount to fund my champagne taste at beer money salary :D

Hope you guys and girls at PG could help me and thanks in advance :)

DK :)

Unless it has to be Paspaley why don't you contact Josh - I don't think he has any whites in stock at present but he might produce one which is what you want - and without a Paspaley price mark up

Hi Sheryl and Wendy,

Thanks for your reply.

Along with your suggestions, Heidi has also pointed to me in the direction of DruzyDesign, Kojima Pearls and other PG members' sites ;)

At a quick glance, the majority use yellow gold in their designs, whereas I only wear white metal. However, I am confident they can work with white gold or platinum :)

It does not have to be Paspaley, as I am a bargain hunter at heart, and am not in the habbit of paying a huge markup for a branded item ;)

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I now know a gob-locking SS baroque is within my reach afterall, just need to save up for it! :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I shall keep on dreaming, and play the lottery :D

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

Help please!

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some indication on the price of a 20+mm (preferably around 25mm) SS baroque, and how I could go about aquiring one for my pendant project.

25mm in DIAMETER???? That's absolutely ENORMOUS!!! I may be missing something here, but as an afficionando of monster pearls, I think it's highly improbable you'll find something in this size on any budget, be it beer or Dom Perignon.

Other PG members care to chime in? Are my 18mm pearls mere wimps compared to what's out there???

With regard to price, Paspaley has gorgeous south seas pearls, but they are indeed quite expensive. I purchased a baroque teardrop pearl in an extremely simple 18K gold setting (just a bail/enhancer), the pearl was just under 16mm in diameter by about 21 in length, and it ran about $2000 a couple years ago (when the dollar was stronger).

Sheri

... as I already have an earring project on the go (diamond earring jackets around 20+mm diameter with interchangable studs, one pair of gem-quality white CFWP studs purchased so far), which may take at least another year or two to complete. DK :)

I'm with you Sheri. Welcome, Dkan. Please share with us where you were able to find 20+MM freshies, and gem quality at that. I was under the impression that 20MM was a physical impossibility for freshies. Am I wrong? The jackets would have to be, what 22MM conservatively. How do studs that large sit on the ear? Architecturally, I would think it would pose quite a dilemma. We would love to see photos of you modeling the pearls. Thanks!

I didn't see too many 20mm+ SS of any shape at the HK show. Lots of what I think are monsters - 18mm or so, and with huge prices.. I think $2K for a teardrop is great value, Sheri. 25mm diameter is indeed enormous..

Nooooo!!!

The earring jackets will be 20mm+ overall diameter in the shape of a flower, not the studs!!! The studs will be 9-10mm diameter :)

I'll try and post up a pic of what I have in mind, once I figure out how to do it :)

Here you go :)

picture.php

Imagine the stud in the middle being 9-10mm that can be taken out and replaced with another pair of the same diameter :)

I started out planning to buy 2 pairs of studs, one pair in white gem-quality CFWP, and the other in AAA Tahitian, for this project.

I ended up with the white studs and blew the budget on a necklace instead :eek::p:D

My reasoning is that, the jeweller does not need 2 pairs of studs to make the earring jackets :D

And Ann at said they'll be able to match the CFWP studs in size when I purchase the Tahitians at a later date :) Thanks Ann for her patience with me :eek:

Apart from pearl studs in black and white, I aim to have a pair of pave diamond balls, a pair of pave ruby balls, and a pair of plain gold balls to complete the set :)

I didn't see too many 20mm+ SS of any shape at the HK show. Lots of what I think are monsters - 18mm or so, and with huge prices.. I think $2K for a teardrop is great value, Sheri. 25mm diameter is indeed enormous..

There is a SS baroque that is the size of a walnut as seen in one of the threads on here, don't know its price though.

There are 2 SS baroque pendants/enhancers currently listed on Kojima Pearls, one is L20mm and the other L19mm, both look very nice and affordable :)

I do not expect a 20mm+ SS baroque will be easy to find or cheap, however, it will be cheaper and more affordable to me than a 20in 16mm+ SS baroque necklace! ;)

Ooooooooo, Kojima Pearls has a nice selection of loose pearls, and I believe I shall have a abalone pearl drop as part of my pendant project :D

Hi Dkan,
First, your Mini is very adorable!

I like your current project of interchangeables, the jacket looks great, and very versatile! With my larger earrings, I like backs of approx 9.0-9.5mm, as they will help the earring plus jacket to sit nicely on the ear. Perhaps you are already familiar with such items. I have them in sterling and karat gold too.

Looking forward to further photos of your projects--you are welcome to model them also!

Hi Dkan,
First, your Mini is very adorable!

I like your current project of interchangeables, the jacket looks great, and very versatile! With my larger earrings, I like backs of approx 9.0-9.5mm, as they will help the earring plus jacket to sit nicely on the ear. Perhaps you are already familiar with such items. I have them in sterling and karat gold too.

Looking forward to further photos of your projects--you are welcome to model them also!

Thanks re: my MINI :D She is an old girl now, I have from new since Feb 02, and I love her to bits :) Custom paint job as I like the colour contrast :D

I would definitely get larger backs to make the earrings sit better nearer the time :)

I have a set of earring jackets with interchangable studs in much smaller scale, and have planned to take some photos, along with my current pearl collection, once I can get my tripod back! I lent it to someone at work for work related purposes, and it is AWOL at present :rolleyes:

I like the idea of interchangable jewellery as I believe it would cost less in the long run. Ok I may be kidding myself I know :eek: :p

Other ideas for future projects include a pair of pave inside and out diamond huggie earrings with interchangable drops, and a pair of diamond earring jackets with interchangable mabe centres, I could go on :eek: :D

There is a SS baroque that is the size of a walnut as seen in one of the threads on here, don't know its price though.

There are 2 SS baroque pendants/enhancers currently listed on Kojima Pearls, one is L20mm and the other L19mm, both look very nice and affordable :)

I do not expect a 20mm+ SS baroque will be easy to find or cheap, however, it will be cheaper and more affordable to me than a 20in 16mm+ SS baroque necklace! ;)

Hi, DK - what threw me off when you said "25mm" was the fact that pearl size generally refers to the diameter of the pearl, as opposed to its length or largest dimension. Those pretty baroque pendants you see on the Kojima site are close to 20mm in length, but significantly smaller in diameter. While true monster pearls of the dimensions you described can occasionally be found, they are extremely rare.

That said, you might be interested in taking a look at the seller "hugepearls" on ebay, as they have a number of large white baroque south seas pearls in the "buy it now" listings in the $75 to $125price range. Note that the pearl size given on the item title does refer to the largest dimension (usually length), but full dimensions are given in the item description. They have some wild and crazy shapes, some over 30mm long when you include the appendages. Some of them would have a lot of potential for custom pieces. I've had good luck in multiple transactions with this seller, and they have reasonably priced and very fast shipping. Do make sure you look at all of the photos so you can see any flaws that could get in the way of your design.

Good luck!

Sheri

21 mm x ~13mm baroque drop, $300

If 19 mm is enough and light gold color OK, THIS looks closer to what I have in mind for 'baroque' (no tail).

Another, gray & somewhat larger

etc...

You lucky those have beads inside! (kiddin')

My one worry with these tailed baroque pearls (generally speaking) is whether they might have very thin patches of nacre (since the nucleus is not necessarily centered) that may crack: the rounded side is the default candidate for such, but also the 'tails' can be empty like a sack (see hole at the tip here?) and sometimes fragile because of it (i.e. one reason to ask the seller to drill the pearl, when the option is given).

Of curse, if the cost is very low, I don't worry about a thing anymore ;) Even bought a few rejects just to take them apart (smaller, ugly and about the cost of a good icecream; there's a bunch of such study material on FleaBay all the time).

Not sure these would have made the cut at Paspaley, but it is nice to see what odd things pearls are capable of! [try THIS]

As for freshwaters, 25mm is rather large, but there were a couple of drops over 20 mm (freshwater, rather perfect ones too... ) on list recently at Kojima and Junwei pearls (both posting here). The bead nucleated freshwater pearls get way larger even with pleasing shapes and colors. Even that strand of large baroque pearls you mentioned should be feasible.

Just 2c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ladies for your recommendations, I shall have a look at the sites you mentioned.

I vaguely remember coming across hugepearls on eBay, and shall check them out later.

At a quick glance, the majority use yellow gold in their designs, whereas I only wear white metal. However, I am confident they can work with white gold or platinum :)

After my own heart!

Good luck on your projects and finding the perfect pearls. If you go shopping for SSP single pearls on eBay, stick with reputable sellers because big FWs are listed as SSP all the time. The lustre is different, of course, but it can be difficult to be certain from compressed photos.
I love interchangable jewelry and have a little huggy-charm idea percolating in the back of my mind too. :D

After my own heart!

Good luck on your projects and finding the perfect pearls. If you go shopping for SSP single pearls on eBay, stick with reputable sellers because big FWs are listed as SSP all the time. The lustre is different, of course, but it can be difficult to be certain from compressed photos.
I love interchangable jewelry and have a little huggy-charm idea percolating in the back of my mind too. :D

Thanks for the advice :)

I have had some success with pearls with certain eBay sellers, and shall keep an eye on their listing too :)

Although I quite like the idea of huggies with interchangable drops, I am not 100% certain if they suit me. I think I should stick with studs :)

In theory, once I have these earring jackets made, I should not need anymore earrings, yah right! :rolleyes: :p :D

That said, you might be interested in taking a look at the seller "hugepearls" on ebay, as they have a number of large white baroque south seas pearls in the "buy it now" listings in the $75 to $125price range.

I bought some pearls from hugepearls when I first started. I got 2 nice enough ones, 1 OK one and 3 really yucky ones. I looked at the pics and knew about the flaws, but it was the color and lustre that wasn't good in the ones I got. I posted my 3 big South Seas some time back. (NOT FROM HUGEPEARL) The were between 18mm - 19mm in length. I sold the largest blue, am keeping the creamy, greenish one and am about ready to send back the middle one because I don't have a buyer here. Maybe I should put it on ebay?? It's the first one. I am amazed how much the goldenish one looks like the one on eBay that Valeria posted.
http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-19mm-HUGE-...Z021QQcategoryZ110852QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem Especially the 4th picture, they could be twins from that picture except mine is smoother and has less bumps and blemishes. I think.

Attachments

• little blue.jpg
    little blue.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 62
  • ssdime.jpg
    ssdime.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 65
  • blue2.jpg
    blue2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
19mm is too small around my neck for evening wear due to my size and short neck - I would make Helen Bonhem Carter look like a swan! :(

But thanks for the information Sheryl, that blue pearl is lush! :)

Back