Know they aren't real, but who are they by?

Jilly

I recieved a 30" strand of pearls from my grandmother's estate. They are heavy and a cream color, has 116 appox 5.5mm pearls, knotted between each, with a gold clasp with a dangling D attached to it. The D only has a registred R in a circle on it. No gold kt markings, and the D seems 'punched out' of metal so doubtful it is real gold. The pearls are nice, no chipping or flaking, and the cording is still tight. The drill holes have a ridged area around them, and the surface looks like orange peel when viewed under a magnifiying glass. I really like them and plan to keep them but hoped someone might know the manufacturer. Any thoughts.

:confused: My mother and Aunt don't know anything about it. They said my grandmother didn't buy cheap jewelry and thought it was real. I think it is just a nicer faux strand probably from the 40-50's. Plus two other items of jewelry I got both came with appraisals, but this did not. (All of this determined by reading your site and the web - thanks for the great info!)

Attached are two photos - sorry camera has a really sucky macro setting so this is as close as I can get.
Ppir8vq2.jpgPpir8w02.jpg

Hi Jilly and welcome,

Yes, in looking at the photos, you are most likely correct that these are high quality imitation pearls. The reflection and color and size are exactly the same on all. Often sold at the "fine" jewelry stores, the glass pearls were knotted between and finished very nicely. No idea what the "D" might stand for.

Glad to hear you will wear and enjoy them!

Back