Is this a pearl?

Wilks

Ate an oyster and found this attached on the inside. About the size of a thimble. Was curious so I thought I'd ask around. IMG_3375a.jpg

It's like a dark purple? Black? Kinda hard to tell with the cream color that wraps it. I live up in Washington and found it out in Gig Harbor. Was wading in some knee deep waters during low tide and found this oyster. Largest one I've ever seen and figured I'd take it home to eat. As for the green of the inside, it's kind of faded now. Think that it shone so brightly in the pic because it was wet? As far as keeping it, I'm not sure. I mean, going out and randomly finding and deciding to eat it, then finding that inside creates a sort of sentimental value to it. Largest oyster I've ever had to eat, and the first time bringing one home fresh from the waters. Yeah, keeping it is definitely in mind.

Ate an oyster and found this attached on the inside. About the size of a thimble. Was curious so I thought I'd ask around.

It's a blister pearl, but not like many of the other blisters appearing as roundish bumps on the shell. This one is different, as it's technically a conjoined pearl. One that formed within the adductor muscle then became fused to the shell. Sometimes you'll observe a tiny hole on the outside of the shell next to the pearl from a boring parasite.

Pearls from edible oysters C. japonica, virginia et al are curiosities, but rarely gem quality.

I live up in Washington and picked it out of knee deep waters during low tide. Not sure what kind of oyster it is.

Thank you for the welcome!
The pearl is black? Hard to say with the cream color wrapped around it. So far I think I'm gonna hang onto it. As you said, it really is quite the conversation piece.

I live up in Washington and picked it out of knee deep waters during low tide. Not sure what kind of oyster it is.

It's a Japanese oyster. (Crassostrea japonica). Very common along the BC, Washington coast. I occasionally slurp the little ones, but really like bigger ones pan fried until crispy with a little hot sauce on the side. I'm just north of you on Vancouver Island.

And you're correct about the black nucleus, when it was a loose pearl. Occasionally pearls stick to shell, or each other. Sometimes they burst out of the sac and become attached in other ways.

Back