Is this a Pearl?

elizatex

We found this in an oyster. My friend swears it is a pearl, but it is so ugly and I can't find any other photos that look like this. Thank you for any feedback you can provide! I have a couple of more photos if that helps.

Attachments

• 100_0972.jpg
    100_0972.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_0974.jpg
    100_0974.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 51
Could be...

What the thing looks like doesn't matter as much to the mollusk as to well, us, and even among humans a whole lot just take pearls for the biological thing that they are: the lot calls themselves 'conchologists', on account of a branch of Victorian natural sciences. Some of the lot get together HERE.

[Disclaimer ;) : I am only speaking of what I can see in the picture - apparently a 'blister pearl' with a large opening showing some dark organic goo inside, as sometimes happens with pearls of all origin, and the natural pearls - as this is presumed - are sometimes forgiven for... under advisement. I am also taking the question at face value, on a hunch.]

Just a thought...

It's a blister pearl?

It's a blister pearl?

Hi,
A blister pearl...that seems like a good name for it. I think it looks like a rotted tooth :) Should I do anything with it or just save it for the kids to use for "show and tell" and such. Could it be worth anything?

Thanks for your input.
Beth

Thanks All!

Thanks All!

Thank you for your feedback. What a nice forum this is!

Aren't all pearls that ugly until polished? I picked up that idea after looking at the baskets of pearls recovered from the Spanish shipwreck - the Sister ship of the Atocha. Is my perception wrong, are some pearls beautiful from the get-go?

Ooooooh, GG, I get your point! That pearl was beautiful. Do many come out looking like that? Just amazing!
Thanks,
Lisa

Back