Identifying vintage by clasp design?

lemur

Am I correct in assuming the approximate vintage of a Mikimoto necklace can be learned from the associated clasp design? If so, does anyone know of where I might find (online or otherwise) a catalogue of all recorded Mikimoto clasp designs? Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, I think the clasps vary and change, so you can date them somewhat. I think there may be people at Mikimoto who can tell when a clasp is from or can look it up.

Yes, I think the clasps vary and change, so you can date them somewhat. I think there may be people at Mikimoto who can tell when a clasp is from or can look it up.

Thanks, Caitlin. There's a store not far from me. I think I'll be taking a trip.

There are no or only limited vintage hallmark references for Mikimoto on-line that I have been able to find. I have posed the reference book question to mikimotousa.com several times, however, they keep telling me they have no reference books as the line is too vast. But have it! Perhaps you can get an answer from them. Good luck!

I think Mikimoto collectors need to be aware that on eBay occasionally a Miki clasp will come up for sale, just the clasp. That is a bit of a problem. I am sure if someone tried to pass of average Akoyas the collectors would realise what was going one but I think it is something to keep in mind. A Mikimoto collector wants Miki so even high quality is not for them.

Apart from Mikis there are so many sellers advertising vintage or antique pearl necklaces which were obviously made up yesterday (as in the last week or so). They add a vintage clasp or pendant and call it antique. Some seem to form their whole business around this practice.

Bodecia

Has anyone heard of crooks being somewhat successful in engraving a Mikimoto hallmark on a piece of jewelry?

2177124410103716725OunAOz_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Is that possible? Is the hallmark an engraving process?

PearlPoor

A hallmark proper is a mark to show the proof of precious metal. It can only be applied (in the UK) at one of (I think it is still) four testing stations. It shows what the metal is, what proof, and what year it was sent for assay. Items which do not come up to proof are smashed so they cannot be sold. The marks are punched into the metal with an engraved punch and a hammer, not engraved or cast or etched. Punched. Metal punch, hammer, thump. (Indeed you sometimes have to re polish the item because there is a dent on the underside!)
In addition a maker may have his own mark affixed to a work to claim and identify it. I have a mark, which is my initials in an egyptian shaped cartouche. That mark has never been issued before and never will be to anyone else. I went to Goldsmith's Hall in London and we looked through the original records to see whether my initials in that particular shape had been issued. It was an amazing experience. Now I don't do much silversmithing (time!)
If anyone is interested in learning more there is much information on this website
http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/
The Worshipful Co of Goldsmiths is one of the twelve original livery companies of the City of London.
I suspect that what you are calling a hallmark (mark made in an assaying hall) is in fact a manufacturer's mark (which is why it varies without records being kept)
I cannot change my mark.

Wendy- Thanks for such detailed info and directing us to that website.

Back