I have inherited some pearls and have some questions

Patriciajoy206

Hello, I was given all the jewelry from my grandmother who had passed when I was 13 or so had was wondering if what she had is real. Some feel heavy but the one strand is also chipping/peeling if I scratch it and the other is such a weird shape. Thank you!

ello, I was given all the jewelry from my grandmother who had passed when I was 13

was wondering if what she had is real

Some feel heavy but the one strand is also chipping/peeling if I scratch it and the other is such a weird shape

Hello Patriciajoy206! Welcome to our pearl loving forum!
Nice photos by the way, very clear and well focused, it really helps for the identification of pearls.
This are my educated guesses, but I am sure we will have many more comments from our Pearl Experts :cool:
1st two photos (seem the same to me): Akoya pearl necklace
2nd photo: Baroque pearl bracelet, Chinese freshwater pearls.
3rd photo: This one is tricky, because I don´t have a way to tell the pearl sizes, so the larger ones look quite large...but could be 8 or 9 mm in diameter and the smaller ones maybe 6 mm. If so, I think these are also Akoya pearls.

These are very nice and I believe they are a great Family Treasure :) I hope you wear them in Health and remember your grandmother when you wear them!

Hi. The round pearls are probably imitations. Way back when your grandmother received them, (Pearls were the traditional 21st birthday present from father to daughter) there were only wild pearls or expensive cultured ones...or imitations. The two reasons why I suspect that you have imitations is that they have gone a sort of nicotine yellow which the lacquer paint does over time, and that they are peeling and the bead inside is clearly visible.
Look at the drill hole. Does the 'nacre' go into a large-ish hole or is there a sharp small drill hole. That's another indicator. From what I can see both the round pearl items have large holes, which means imitation.
The necklace with the chain, that's a freshwater real farmed pearl necklace. There may be some stamp or indicator of the metal if you look carefully. It's much more recent.

Hi. The round pearls are probably imitations. Way back when your grandmother received them, (Pearls were the traditional 21st birthday present from father to daughter) there were only wild pearls or expensive cultured ones...or imitations. The two reasons why I suspect that you have imitations is that they have gone a sort of nicotine yellow which the lacquer paint does over time, and that they are peeling and the bead inside is clearly visible.
Look at the drill hole. Does the 'nacre' go into a large-ish hole or is there a sharp small drill hole. That's another indicator.
The necklace with the chain, that's a freshwater real farmed pearl necklace. There may be some stamp or indicator of the metal if you look carefully. It's much more recent.
don't dismiss the imitation pearls as simple fakes, by the way, they were a loving gift from a father to a daughter/ an admiring gift from some handsome beau. They are part of the history of your grandmother and your family.

I agree with pearlescene. The two round yellowish strands appear to be imitation (with a very pretty clasp). The pearl shapes on the station necklace are lovely.

Ooooh yeesss! I now noticed the drill holes and you can indeed SEE the typical markings of imitation pearls! I should have been more careful...I believe I need better glasses too (yes, really!).

My gut feeling is the round pearls which are slightly yellowish are imitation pearls. The clasps are common for imitation pearls.

The Tin-cup (the one with the chain) may be baroque freshwater pearls from China.

NOTE: Tin-cup refers to the movie "Tin-cup" where Renee' Russo's character wears a pearl necklace with the pearls spaced out an inch apart. The style of necklace became known as Tin-cup even if chain separated the pearls as opposed to silk or nylon in the original necklace.

NOTE: Tin-cup refers to the movie "Tin-cup" where Renee' Russo's character wears a pearl necklace with the pearls spaced out an inch apart. The style of necklace became known as Tin-cup even if chain separated the pearls as opposed to silk or nylon in the original necklace.[/QUOTE]
Before the movie, and in many places since, the style is called 'station' since the gems are stationed along the chain.

Ooooh yeesss! I now noticed the drill holes and you can indeed SEE the typical markings of imitation pearls! I should have been more careful...I believe I need better glasses too (yes, really!).

Not at all, you have just lived too long with real pearls to be cynical!

But to be truthful...I have worsened my eyesight to the point I can't see with my glasses on...nor glasses off! ;)
Will have to start using my other "super senses" (SpiderMan has his "spidey senses", PearlMan has his "Pearly Senses"...if this makes any sense at all ;) )

As the Tin Cup name resurfaces from time to time, I have posted a short history on this innovative design and the woman who created it

Thank you for posting your link to the full story of the Tin-cup name, Bernadette! I keep forgetting that they are also called station necklaces and have been around at long time. A lot of Victorian jewelry were station necklaces as it was a good way of using natural pearls without needing a full strand of them.

Back