how would you wear....

trulyviolet

pearls with jeans and flannel if you are....um a certain age

i can understand pearls with dressier clothes and or suits
but how about going to the grocery or out to the farms for produce?

although i been poking around and those tin cups are something, i never liked them before i saw how you folks were making them

I wear my pearls when running errands, buying produce and grocery shopping! I also wear them when we go out to eat.

We lead a quiet life in the suburbs and it is truly rare for us to attend a concert or play these days. If I had to wait for a grander venue to wear them, I'd never get to wear them.

I think pendants, tin cups and ropes look great with casual clothes! Or any type of baroque or Keshi pearl. There are no hard and fast rules though, some of the wonderful women here would be able to pull off traditional length perfect strands of formal pearls with jeans and a tee!

Last edited:
Probably not a strand when I am in casual mode, however, I would wear tin cup or pendants with collared shirts (not a Polo shirt as I do not like their collars).

DK :)

I wear my pearls when running errands, buying produce and grocery shopping! I also wear them when we go out to eat.

We lead a quiet life in the suburbs and it is truly rare for us to attend a concert or play these days. If I had to wait for a grander venue to wear them, I'd never get to wear them.

i'm starting to get out more..sometimes kicking and screaming
and this coming year looks to be a really outside the studio year
along with what may end up with tons of business meetings- i am seriously out of practice for that

i keep looking at everyone's photos and thinking...wow

I think pendants, tin cups and ropes look great with casual clothes! Or any type of baroque or Keshi pearl. There are so hard and fast rules though, some of the wonderful women here would be able to pull off traditional length perfect strands of formal pearls with jeans and a tee!

i am thinking maybe you're right about the tin cups... really i never liked them until i started to poke around this forum
all of a sudden i was looking at them on you folks and saying ...wow ( i been saying that a lot lately when i'm here)

Probably not a strand when I am in casual mode, however, I would wear tin cup or pendants with collared shirts (not a Polo shirt as I do not like their collars).

DK :)

i tend to wear collars but not polos either
for me.....once i reached a certain age and over a certain number of chins
i decided tee shirts are out....... polos and knits like that are also out
so button down shirts
and structured sweaters
oh and since the other end is.......... um............ expanding...... TUNIC lengths

i'm going to knot some fake pearls from my mom's day, and do a few lengths ( don't laugh but i used them on the christmas tree..... mom used to make evening/bridal and these are those really good glass pearls that are nacre dipped and from like the 40s)

i'm determined to learn to knot, so i'll work with them... if i mess them up......well i won't notice it on the christmas tree
if i can..i'll know what lengths to try for and how to knot or wire wrap (my skills with wire are rusty) then i can move on to fresh waters

no?

Why not? Practice is good, even on Christmas tree decorating pearls.

But I think you will find that knotting is really easy, especially if using a slippery thread like Serafil or Beader's Secret. Knots slide right into place when the two threads are pulled apart. You can do it without tools. (See tutorials on the Lowly Beader's Forum.)

Last edited:
Why not? Practice is good, even on Christmas tree decorating pearls.

But I think you will find that knotting is really easy, especially if using a slippery thread like Beader's Secret. Knots slide right into place when the two threads are pulled apart. You can do it without tools. (See tutorials on the Lowly Beader's Forum.)

i been looking at the tutorials here and studying and reading.... you folks are a gold mine of information

and i am planning ( was supposed to do it today, got sidetracked by a fox) to order beader's secret....and needles and a few other odds and end..
i normally just drape the temp strings over the branches....then put bows over where the drapes are..
i'm going to make them with hooks and or clasps i think....
this is going to be fun

I wear pearls with jeans and a flannel shirt, and I'm beyond a certain age!! ;-) When I wear really casual clothes, I tend to go with really classic pearls, like my white, round freshwater strand of average size or my smaller round white akoyas. For some reason, I think of my big freshwater pearls, and my baroque pearls, as more dressy.

Not only am I well beyond a certain age I am almost at the level just before the downward slide ;) Truthfully I have reached a point that I wear pearls for me. If I want to wear my golden south sea strand with crops and a t-shirt I do. I have been known to wear my white south sea strand with jeans and go to the grocery store or movies. Tahitian strands....no problem they go with everything. I seldom wear a single strand more likely a double or triple and that includes ropes. It's all in the attitude and blending the pearls with the outfit. I have been looking for a flannel shirt to wear this winter. So when I get one I will be wearing it with my jeans and lots of pearls. My life style is very casual and relaxed too.

Years ago a friend of mine went to a funeral and wore her exquisite big round super peacock Tahitian strand that day. When she got home she decided to go into her garden and do some weeding. She sent me an email that evening with a picture her husband took of her that day pulling weeds in her pearls. We had a good laugh.

It's all in the attitude. If you act like they belong and they make you feel good. Then they do :)

I'm also well past a certain age, am very rarely dressed formally, and gave up (thankfully!!!) wearing suits every day a few years ago. I wear pearls with flannels and jeans all the time, often around the campfire. This weekend it was a new favorite of mine for casual wear: a soft thin wire, probably around 32" long, covered with the tiniest irregular, oxidized silver beads. Here and there around, the necklace it's studded with a few luminous little Tahitian keshi mesmerizingly lovely pearls, and one bigger Tahitian pearl, with a bit of carving on it. The pearls are accented by just a tiny few gold beads on each side. Casual, weightless, goes with EVERYTHING, throw it on and forget it ... except it was made by a dear dear friend, so wearing it is like carrying a hug around, especially on hard days :) Other favorites with casual clothes: Blue baroque akoyas, so wonderful with jeans and blue plaid flannels ... big white baroque akoyas in summer with casual cotton and/or linens ... winter long tunic sweaters LOVE wearing Tahitian baroque circled ropes ... There are very few of my pearls I wouldn't wear with casual clothes. I don't quite know how to break this to you, Duck, but ... you're in trouble :)

I wear pearls with everything, especially jeans. They look great with T-shirts or denim shirts.

I find that if you layer on several strands, it looks better with jeans than if you just wear a single white strand. But on the other hand, a single white choker would look great peeking out of the neck of a flannel shirt.

I wear pearls with jeans and a flannel shirt, and I'm beyond a certain age!! ;-) When I wear really casual clothes, I tend to go with really classic pearls, like my white, round freshwater strand of average size or my smaller round white akoyas. For some reason, I think of my big freshwater pearls, and my baroque pearls, as more dressy.

*i'm well beyond a certain age too
do you wear the classic pearls in a shorter length?

Not only am I well beyond a certain age I am almost at the level just before the downward slide ;) Truthfully I have reached a point that I wear pearls for me. If I want to wear my golden south sea strand with crops and a t-shirt I do. I have been known to wear my white south sea strand with jeans and go to the grocery store or movies. Tahitian strands....no problem they go with everything. I seldom wear a single strand more likely a double or triple and that includes ropes. It's all in the attitude and blending the pearls with the outfit. I have been looking for a flannel shirt to wear this winter. So when I get one I will be wearing it with my jeans and lots of pearls. My life style is very casual and relaxed too.

Years ago a friend of mine went to a funeral and wore her exquisite big round super peacock Tahitian strand that day. When she got home she decided to go into her garden and do some weeding. She sent me an email that evening with a picture her husband took of her that day pulling weeds in her pearls. We had a good laugh.

It's all in the attitude. If you act like they belong and they make you feel good. Then they do :)

see pearls always were so classic to me
my mom had what i now realize must be an akoya strand... with a fancy clasp with emeralds and pearls
she had what i know now are blister pearl earrings with diamond (they were cool as they had screw on back but they were pierced earrings) and big
then she had a ring with three pearls set across the top. my siblings got those.
i hadn't seen them for years at that point so i only vague remember what they looked like.
she only wore them for really special occasions, and i don't remember her getting them restrung but i am assuming she must have.

i like that 'all in the attitude' quote, i need to remember that this coming summer
thank you

I don't quite know how to break this to you, Duck, but ... you're in trouble :)

i'm beginning to suspect you may be right about that.......
i know i have a now a list kicking around in the back of my head.....
1) well those earrings
2) learn to knot the fake pearl strands at least the christmas tree will be happy
3) maybe try some cheap fresh waters and get used to the idea.....
4) POSSIBLY maybe one really good large baroque drop....
eventually .............hang my head in shame and ahem.......... fervently hope for a sell out july show, before someone tall with glasses realizes i spend the winter heating money on pretty shiny things.......

I wear pearls with everything, especially jeans. They look great with T-shirts or denim shirts.

I find that if you layer on several strands, it looks better with jeans than if you just wear a single white strand. But on the other hand, a single white choker would look great peeking out of the neck of a flannel shirt.

i realize now, maybe it's a matter of getting used to it
i never liked seeing high heals with jeans... *ahem.........remember earth shoes.....?*
i'm semi used to that now
and i also realize i really never get out of the studio.......

i tend to tell folks, ....seriously i'm almost amish with internet, not tv unless you can get it on hulu... or
really i live under a rock....... with ducks and art supplies

I love pairing pearls with very dressed down style (which is my style preference). Usually I'll do either pearl earrings or a necklace/pendant, but never both, plus pearl rings or a bracelet, but never both. That's mainly because I dislike a matchy look and like when things are not homogeneous, so I tend to mix things up.

I'm also well past a certain age, am very rarely dressed formally, and gave up (thankfully!!!) wearing suits every day a few years ago. I wear pearls with flannels and jeans all the time, often around the campfire. This weekend it was a new favorite of mine for casual wear: a soft thin wire, probably around 32" long, covered with the tiniest irregular, oxidized silver beads. Here and there around, the necklace it's studded with a few luminous little Tahitian keshi mesmerizingly lovely pearls, and one bigger Tahitian pearl, with a bit of carving on it. The pearls are accented by just a tiny few gold beads on each side.

Cathy, I need to see this necklace, it sounds stunning!

I love pairing pearls with very dressed down style (which is my style preference). Usually I'll do either pearl earrings or a necklace/pendant, but never both, plus pearl rings or a bracelet, but never both. That's mainly because I dislike a matchy look and like when things are not homogeneous, so I tend to mix things up.

i have a jewelry box full of stuff so i'm going to start wearing it all again
and i'm going to have to get used to it all again

Back