How to fix loose end of knot myself?

eSinger

These were freshly strung on Serafil last week. Between the two pearls nearest the clasp on one side, the frayed edge of the thread has popped out.

I don't want to mail them back to the stringer. Do I need to find someone local, or should I clip this or tuck it in myself? I am without tools and don't want to scratch the pearl.

Thank you! Pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_4864.jpeg
    IMG_4864.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4863.jpeg
    IMG_4863.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 24
If the knot is between the last two pearls, that means the knots did not go back through the last three pearls. This could be of concern if the knot releases because the strand will come apart. If you do not want to return it to the stringer, I’d use a thread burner or trim it a little and carefully use a toothpick or pin to dab some glue on the end and around the knot. I usually don’t use glue on my knots, but it looks like this is the only end knot.

If the knot is between the last two pearls, that means the knots did not go back through the last three pearls. This could be of concern if the knot releases because the strand will come apart. If you do not want to return it to the stringer, I’d use a thread burner or trim it a little and carefully use a toothpick or pin to dab some glue on the end and around the knot. I usually don’t use glue on my knots, but it looks like this is the only end knot.
Thank you so much; that's discouraging, but good to know. Will get the gear and do this as a temporary fix.

It should go back. If this strand is newly strung then the sooner you return it the better. Start to muddle with it and the stringer can claim you have caused the problem.
I always put a dab of glue on the end as it feeds through the third pearl. I found that sometimes pesky thread will 'walk' itself out of the drill hole if there is the slightest play and the pearl is moving up and down.

eSinger, so sorry this has happened! I'm all for stringing back through 3 pearls with a dab of glue, too. Wondering what the darkened area is near the knot? Wondering if the stringer tried to use a thread burner or thread zapper or cigarette lighter to melt the thread? Does that thread look burned or melted? Serafil is a synthetic, so it can be melted to prevent fraying.

eSinger, so sorry this has happened! I'm all for stringing back through 3 pearls with a dab of glue, too. Wondering what the darkened area is near the knot? Wondering if the stringer tried to use a thread burner or thread zapper or cigarette lighter to melt the thread? Does that thread look burned or melted? Serafil is a synthetic, so it can be melted to prevent fraying.
Nope, just frayed, nothing is damaged at all.

I do not have the heart to send this back: it's already made several trips across the country to be customized and re-fit and morphed into a matching necklace, all with loving care. But I will be wearing it a lot, in honor of my son who will be moving to the literal opposite side of the globe, close to the home of the pearls. I only noticed because it is a bracelet so I see the clasp all the time. I really would just glue it, I just don't want it to be structurally unsound.

Glamour shot included so you can tell me which Serafil to buy (rose? beige? not white) should I ever want a color change. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4871.jpeg
    IMG_4871.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 36
You will love being able to do it yourself! And once you've learned, you won't forget. It has sometimes been a couple of years between mine but it always comes back to me :)

Back