how do I authenticate these pearls

jodibenson

I have a triple strand of pearls with a note from my mother that says they are Biwa (Japan) pearls, and that
she paid $1400 for them originally. I have no real idea how old they are and would like to get them authenticated
before I try to sell them. Is there anyone out there who can help me get this done?
I think I've attached pictures of the pearls and the note, but am not sure they are coming through properly..
thanks

Attachments

• triple strand Biwa pearls.jpg
    triple strand Biwa pearls.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 64
  • note with Biwa pearls.jpg
    note with Biwa pearls.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 60
Does she have any documentation? The reason I'm asking is that I have ordinary FWP from China that look just like that. Documentation would help.
The clasp is very nice-- can you post a larger photo of it? Is that a stone-- what is it? Is the clasp marked 14K, 18K, 585 or 750?

You may wish to read this thread:
Biwa

Last edited:
nice pearls jodibenson i like it,, but it's frshwater pearls for sure ..!
thanks
mahmud

Lake Biwa is a freshwater lake, but there is a difference between Chinese freshwater pearls and Biwa freshwater pearls. However, it is difficult to differentiate the pearls visually, or from a photo.

Purchase documentation would be necessary. Otherwise, it's possible a pearl lab might be able to authenticate them.

Would a lab be able to authenticate without destroying one of the pearls to analyse it and thus determine the source, though?

If you don't have any supporting documentation, you could still sell them as vintage FWP with a beautiful clasp.

I'm afraid I can't help with authentication and have no idea about value but I did want to say what a beautiful clasp and what an informative note your Mother left about the pearls.
I see it was written in 2000, I imagine $1400 was a fair sum to pay for pearls then, and possibly even earlier as we don't know when she actually bought them.
And yes, some photos of the clasp would be great! It is lovely.
All the best.

Back