help identifying this necklace?

lane7609

Hello! I've been clearing out my belongings at my mums house, and came across the jewellery that my grandfather used to buy me. He'd go away on holiday several times a year, and would always bring me back jewellery - this necklace has ended up with the rest of this jewellery, but I don't know where it actually originates from. I couldn't get a photo of the back of the clasp but it says 14/20 with either a 4 or upside down 7 or L at the end (i.e. 14/20 L) I couldn't see it very well. The pearls aren't all perfectly round, they have quite a few flat spots, and some have indents in them (I've tried my best to photograph them). Really, I'd just like to know what type of pearls they are (if they are real ones) and if so, how old are they and perhaps where they originate from? I have no idea about jewellery or pearls, so I am clueless on this subject, but if they are real, I wanted to know if anyone had estimates to how much they'd cost, and therefore how on earth I'd go about selling them - I'm sure someone else would appreciate them far more than I could! Any help is much appreciated x

Attachments

• necklace1.jpg
    necklace1.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 38
  • necklace2.jpg
    necklace2.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 42
  • necklace3.jpg
    necklace3.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 42
  • necklace4.jpg
    necklace4.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 42
  • necklace5.jpg
    necklace5.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 47
How nice of your grandfather to bring you back jewelry gifts!

They are cultured baroque freshwater pearls from China with a gold filled clasp. Pearls of this shape were pretty common in the mid-1990s to early 2000s. The Chinese have been improving their techniques and much better freshwater pearls are available now.

Unfortunately you won't get much for these. Baroque freshwater pearls are the most common kinds of pearls there are, and eBay is full of such listings. A gold filled clasp is not valuable. (14/20 means 1/20th of the weight is 14K gold, which is laid over base metal.)

If I were you I would donate them to (or consign them at) a charity-run thrift shop. I don't think it's worth the bother to list it on eBay, personally.

Back