Help identifying/evaluating vintage inherited pearls

Nora1234

Hi,

I’d appreciate any help identifying and evaluating these vintage pearls inherited from my late mother.

They are matching set and are an off white, darker color -

Attachments

• IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4042.jpeg
    IMG_4042.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4041.jpeg
    IMG_4041.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4039.jpeg
    IMG_4039.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4038.jpeg
    IMG_4038.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
Oh really?! Oh no.

Is there a way to confirm?

They have a subtly irregular and inconsistent shape to them.

Yes, I agree, imitation pearl. Look at how identical the reflections are and shapes so consistent.
The first place to look when suspecting imitation pearls is at the drill holes. On vintage strands there is usually peeling or there can be a build up of paint like swirls around the drill holes. The holes probably won't have the precise edge of a drilled cultured pearl.
Also a lack of occasional typical natural blemishes.

Last edited:
I have owned imitation pearls that were not all exactly the same shape (the better to look real.)

Imitation pearls also glide smoothly when rubbed against each other, while real pearls feel gritty.

Also imitation pearls with a glass bead (which I think yours are) are warmer than real pearls. You can check this by placing some pearls you know to be real (or know to be fake/glass) in the same temperature environment for 30 minutes or so, then testing each against your lip, which is very temperature sensitive.

Oh really?! Oh no.

Is there a way to confirm?

They have a subtly irregular and inconsistent shape to them.
They look a lot like my grandmother's Richelieu faux pearls from the 1940's or 50s. The yellowed color. The lack of overtones. The graduated shape of the pearls in the necklace. The clasps. I treasure them. Lots of women wore faux pearls back then. Jackie Kennedy. Barbara Bush. Coco Chanel.

Last edited:
I believe the holes on fake pearls are also usually larger than on real pearls.
That is often the case with less expensive glass imitation pearls, but not necessarily with higher end ones. Same goes for excess coating near drill holes or beveling of the bead near drill holes.

Back