Hello and help please!

Blue Star

I have been browsing these forums and first want to say thank you for all of the help you all give!

I know nothing about pearls. The only knowledge I have comes from what I have read on the net in the last 24 hours, so I will not begin to speculate or pretend I know what I'm talking about. Please forgive me in advance if I have to ask a lot of questions.

I bought this strand of what I think may be pearls. There are markings on the clasp. "925" (I know that means the clasp is sterling) and the the letters "OW" or it could be "MO". I'm not sure. There is another symbol before the O but I can't make it out.

They are heavy, feel gritty when I rub them together, and have knots between each one. Where the thread goes through the attachment for the clasp there are multiple silver rings around the thread.

The more I read, the more confused I get!

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Bluestar and welcome!
Those are cultured freshwater pearls, dyed black or really dark chocolate, not sure. The are real cultured pearls and are solid nacre. No coated bead inside. Which explains the off round shapes which are typical of solid nacre freshwater pearls.

How did you happen to find them?

Here are a few more to show more detail.

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 58
  • n2.jpg
    n2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 54
  • n3.jpg
    n3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 51
I go to auctions, yard sales, and thrift stores to buy anything that seems interesting at a low price to re-sell on a popular auction site. (My actual job does not pay well!) These were at a thrift store, in a ziploc, in a bin of jewelry. I noticed the weight and that the clasp had writing on it. I thought it would be worth the $1 to see if the brand name would bring a profit (Marked costume jewelry has done well for me). I got home and took a closer look and thought I might have something a little more special!

Thank you Caitlin. It seems my post before this is gone. I bought them at a second-hand store!

Last edited:
...Where the thread goes through the attachment for the clasp there are multiple silver rings around the thread.

That is called French wire, gimp or bullion-- all three terms refer to a lightweight, flexible tube of coiled wire that is strung onto the thread just before attaching the clasp. It protects the thread from wear and tear from the clasp, and looks more professional than bare thread.

yup they are dyed cultured Freshwater pearls - nice little find for a buck at the thrift store, they aren't worth a lot of money though.

Back