Hello All What kind of pearls are these, please?

gauntlettgems

IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
Does the FIC on the clasp really mean Fiery Ideal Cut? Is this attributed to beiing Akoya?
There is also a V and 14k on the clasp I am thinking these have a little age to them or are vintage
I would think these are saltwater but I am no expert They appear to be free of blemishes other than a few lines/ridges that go around a couple of them They have a beautiful, bright, white luster What shape are these considered?

Any help is very much appreciated TYIA

Hi gauntlettgems, and welcome to Pearl-Guide.

FIC would be the mark of the manufacturer of the clasp. (I don't know the manufacturer, though.)

I believe your pearls are cultured freshwater pearls from China. I have freshwater pearls that look like that. That oval/drop shape (they used to call it "rice") was very common in the 1990s/early 2000s, and the price of gold jumped after that, so it's not too surprising that the clasp is gold; probably the beads between the pearls are gold as well, though you might want to be sure of that (test one) if you plan to sell the bracelet.

What does surprise me is the color of the thread. I can't imagine why white thread wasn't used. :confused:

The principal value of the bracelet is in the metal, not the pearls. The pearls are nice examples of pearls of that shape, but the Chinese have come a long way in how they culture pearls since then, and these shapes are not highly valued now.

I want to add that when that bracelet was originally sold, it would have been considered a good quality, nice bracelet-- hence the use of gold. Nowadays I'd use silver or gold filled findings for pearls of that quality and value.

Last edited:
It left that black fuzz around the drill holes. Odd choice of thread for sure.

I agree on the pearls. A lovely bracelet in dire need of a restring. I think the thread is actually white, and what you are noticing as black is the tarnish that has rubbed off from the beads. If you look at the ends of the strands you can see a white loop of thread.

I thought of that but the gold beads don't look tarnished. However, squinting now to see the loop of thread near the clasp, I think you must be right, JP.

You may not yet realize that you don't know enough about pearls to appraise them. It sounds mean, but it is true. Anyone with a little experience can tell at a glance that these are freshwater pearls. Also, the luster is nice, but not outstanding. You must see a lot of pearls to learn and appreciate the differences..

I think the thread is white. I think this falls into the "don't use gold beads with pearls because they turn black" thing I read years ago. The clasp may be real gold, but the beads might be plated, and the inside of the beads are tarnishing the thread and the drill holes of the pearls.

GemGeek is right-- it takes experience, and as you don't list/sell a lot of pearls it's hard to get that experience. So kudos for coming here to ask before listing them. EBay has tons of freshwater pearls that are listed incorrectly as akoya, South Sea or Tahitian. I just want to suggest you add the word freshwater to your title and description. Buyers should be clear about what they are getting.

I see on your listing that you are selling these for a friend, but if pearls interest you generally, stick around on Pearl-Guide and you'll learn a lot about pearls. :)

BWeaves, even 14k solid gold will tarnish enough to turn a thread black. While pure gold, like fine silver, generally won't tarnish; the alloys used in lesser purity gold and sterling will oxidize (tarnish). Best way to demonstrate how much gold does tarnish: take a sunshine cloth to a piece of gold jewelry. It is amazing how much tarnish will be removed. Just be careful doing this on white gold, as most is plated with rhodium. It's super easy for a jeweler to replate white gold, fyi.

Back