Has MikiMoto changed their quality?

danachit

I've seen some older mikis....some about ten years, to some about 30 years old. I've seen on here folks say Mikimoto used hanadama grade and honestly, the ones I've seen look A grade at best. They haven't been worn every day at all. At best, pulled out for weddings, funerals, some church or dinner at times.

The ones I recently restrung had all the paperwork and tags and truth be told, I have better pearls in my case that I paid about $35 a strand for.

Did they, at some time, begin to switch to high grade to differentiate themselves from the rest?

At Bailey, Banks and Biddle here, they sell Mikimotos with grades as low as A1 (which is a grade lower than grade A.) They have a display of loose pearls on a card showing the different grades but the highest on that card is AAA-- though I did not see any AAA pearls actually for sale. Perhaps Hanadama could be specially ordered; I did not ask.

Mikimoto has different lines and qualities that you would not find in actual Mikimoto stores. Lines such as Blue Lagoon and Sea Magic are Mikimoto, but they are the lower-quality version of Mikimoto.

That is true, I've seen those other lines at Belden and Littman, but Bailey, Banks and Biddle do not carry the other lines, just pearls labeled Mikimoto.

Sort of on thread - I sometimes get asked to re-string old pearls - usually given many years ago as a coming of age present and much cherished since.
But they are yellowed and the nacre is peeling...oh dear, very disheartening. I never know what to say, as they are much prized.
How can you tell if these are tired old sea pearls or majorcan (a specific brand of shell pearl very common in Europe due to good marketing when the spanish holiday market to the island was opening up in the 70s and 80s)
And can anything be done to restore them in any way?

Hi Wendy,

Restore, no. At least not that I am aware of. Just remind owners of proper care and storage.

Majorica pearls are still around and being sold. They probably are holding up better than the akoyas! The care recommendations for them are the same as "real" pearls. They will be perfectly round and all the exact same color. Although I have seen a few baroque sets recently. They are still popular because one can purchase a SS size strand for $200-$300 or so. They do not have the depth and lustre of real pearls.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I recently came across this method of restoring aged pearls to their original luster on a Web site that has been discussed here a few times (Shecy Pearl Jewelry).

This is a quote from their site.
11.Will my pearls turn yellow with age? If so, how can I return them to their original color?

If your pearls start to yellow, dipping them in hydrochloric acid may restore their color and luster. This will dissolve the outer calcite layer, exposing the aragonite underneath. However, if your pearls have been yellow for a long time, it may be difficult or impossible to restore their original color.

Before any of your run out to you local chemical supplier to buy industrial-size barrels of hydrochloric acid, please note that I am posting this quote tongue-in-cheek! The pearls would dissolve into a bubbly calcium blob within seconds. Please, please do not follow their suggestion;)

In years past "pearl doctors" could treat dull spots with alcohol or a weak acid to restore some of the beauty of aged pearls. These are the same pearl doctors who could peel pearls with a small blade. This is not something you want to try at home on your $10,000 Mikimotos.

Often, the grease excreted from the skin's talcum glands will combine with a pearls surface aragonite platelets blocking the thin-film interference that creates the optical phenomenons known as luster and orient. This is why pearls need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

Mikimoto himself used alcohol on a cloth. This is not a great method any longer as so many pearls have been over-treated and the nacre has already begun to dry out. The best method for cleaning pearls today is a damp, sterile cloth. I say sterile because if the cloth has any acids on it, the pearls may be damaged. Leather, for example, has been treated with acidic tannins which can damage a pearl.

Majorcan pearls are made of many layers of powdered fish scales and have a beautiful, but artificial looking luster. I once had a 30" or so strand with graduated sizes from 7mm to 14-15mm. I had the box, clasp and some paperwork, so it was an easy sell on eBay. It bid up to the mid-300's, if I recall correctly. I think replacement value would be about $1,000 for a new one.

(Now there's a case of Mystique with a Capital M!) Just think of the freshies I could get with that amount!

If the wear is around the bead hole, esp., it is most likely not a Majorca, but an akoya- or even faux pearls.

There have been quite a few people with faux pearls (or old akoyas) that have come over here and say they are "natural" pearls from an ancestor.......

You can buy replacement akoyas at bead stores here in the US, but the color is never a perfect match. ( I think those pearls are carried especially to replace old worn akoyas. My sister in law has had to replace many, many pearls on her ropes, from the 30's and 40's, which all show considerable wear.)

By the way what do most of you use to clean you pearls. Hope this isn't too off topic.

11.Will my pearls turn yellow with age? If so, how can I return them to their original color?

If your pearls start to yellow, dipping them in hydrochloric acid may restore their color and luster. This will dissolve the outer calcite layer, exposing the aragonite underneath. However, if your pearls have been yellow for a long time, it may be difficult or impossible to restore their original color.

Where are my smelling salts when I need them????? Hydrochloric acid is HIGHLY corrosive!! Jeremy is correct, a Hanadama pearl necklace(or any pearl necklace) would shortly become blobs of metal chloride. You might as well try swallowing the pearls, as stomach acid, which is hydrochloric acid too, may have a slightly milder effect.

I honestly can't believe that advice is on the Shecy pearl site.

Slraep

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of A, AA, AAA, Hanandama, Freshadama and Mikimoto pearls (and anything else someone might want to throw in). I'm not sure if anyone has a sampling like this, but I still find myself confused over grading, especially when Mikimoto is thrown in. I have a AAA strand from PP and a pendent from Mikimoto (the actually store) and when I compare the two, the Miki looks nicer ? no flaws, very reflective and great luster. I realize I am comparing a pendent with a strand and this in itself is not a true comparison as pendents/earrings are general the best of the best. Also, I am comparing different colors, which I?m sure complicates things further. I recently purchased a strand of purple freshwater pearls - without any grading info. Looking at them and using what I have learned, I would say they are A+ or AA.

If anyone has the ability (and time) to provide a side by side I think it would be very helpful to some of us still developing our knowledge. I realize I could find pictures of these by searching PG and the internet, but differences are much easier to see when things are side by side. And pics/pearls from the same source are probably more consistent when it comes to grading.

Thanks in advance to anyone taking on this challenge!

Back