Gujarat, India farmer develops 48-carat pearl

Caitlin

LINK

It's from a freshwater pearl farm in India!

Navsari: A pearl farmer has developed a 48-carat pink pearl, in Chikhli town of Gujarat's Navsari district.

The pearl-farmer, Bhargav Desai, said that they are planning to auction the pearl at the famous auctioneers Sotheby's or Christie's, and are awaiting clearance from the Gem and Pearl Testing Laboratory in Bahrain.
The pearl is expected to fetch a price between Rs30 million and 100 million.
Desai has been producing pearls since 2004 at the Bhargav Freshwater Aquaculture Farm in Chikhli town.
He said that pearl farming is much more profitable than any other type of farming.
"This pearl culture gives us more income than normal agriculture. Pearl culture is not that widespread in India. There is very limited production and the demand for pearls is very high in our area...and pearls are being imported from China as well. So, if more pearl farms are developed here, our foreign currency would be saved and our farmers will be economically saved," said Desai.
He added that though pearl farming brings good returns, it is a risky business and that prevents people from taking it up as a profession in India.
Pearls are farmed in fresh water and nuclei of different sizes are implanted in mussels for the production of pearls. The entire process of implantation and harvesting of the pearl takes about two years.

Leaves nothing but questions. What terrible reporting.

wow. I just keep bombing out :eek:......Would you say there is no pearl farm? The sending it to Bahrain lab made me go, Huh? Especially since it has a bead. Maybe this came out April Fool's. It is a local Indian newspaper, not meant to go worldwide.

Yes, clearly 15 days at the Central Institute, high quality calcium carbonate and natural gum will invariably give you Jesus Christ?

Let's hope Bahrain gives the green light soon for this one to see the light of day!

OK ROFL!!!

I want to start a new thread called "Truth or Bunk" or something like that. I'd put the first paragraphs of the ebay Miki article in there, now this. We can be the Snopes for pearls.....

With further research whether its truth or bunk will show up. What do you guys think?

Yes Caitlin,

This type of article is very confusing - we need whatever brilliance you can come up with.

Dawn eBay ID dawncee333

hey guys... can you please help me understand why do you think this may not be true?
Just to clarify.. I do not have any knowledge of pearl farming... I am just curious...:)

I wish they had put some background into the article- I think the reporter knows nothing about pearls. It sounded like the farm is well-funded, the technicians are trained- one article said the giant was nucleated. And they are going for top of the line pearls.

Perhaps, they really are freshwater pearl farming in India! That they are farming pearls sounds like the real story. It appears they want to hit the news with something big.

The size of the pearl is so unusual I can understand the skepticism. An expert like Steve or Blaire understands the unlikelihood of a 48 carat CFWP- though there are rumors of 22-23mm pearls. Those stories might be unverified too-but Maybe they aren't. Still this is a Huge Pearl or it's not. My biggest question is the Bahrain lab. What do they expect to prove by sending a beaded pearl to a lab for testing?

Last edited:
What do they expect to prove by sending a beaded pearl to a lab for testing?
Maybe the Jesus hypothesis can be debunked.

A Surat-Based farmer has developed a 48-carat cultured pearl weighing 15 grams.
A miracle in itself, as 15 grams is 75 carats. Cultured pearls are never offered or described by weight, and 48 carats would not even qualify as unusual among natural pearls from tridacna or gastropod.

Also seems they saw something about the premium for pink overtone (in akoya) and thought that would be nice frosting on the cake.

LOL!

Bad reporting. Lousy translations that distort the poor reporting and a legend/myth is created. This story may persist, maybe we can track it.

In the world of pearls, skepticism is needed and developed quickly or money is lost.

Leaves nothing but questions. What terrible reporting.
Hi, I am a pearl farmer from India. I am cultivating half round MOP pearls. But recently I came across a naturally formed pearl in my farm. I don't know how to ascertain the value since I did not find anything much about freshwater natural pearls in India (uncultured). So I thought I ll seek guidance through this forum

Attachments

• IMG_20240629_141345.jpg
    IMG_20240629_141345.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240629_155637.jpg
    IMG_20240629_155637.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Talk about resurrecting a thread! The material used by the mollusk to coat the intrusion/injury is not nacre, thus it appears the gemological value is null. As for the blister itself, the mollusk pathologists here should be able to shed some light.

Talk about resurrecting a thread! The material used by the mollusk to coat the intrusion/injury is not nacre, thus it appears the gemological value is null. As for the blister itself, the mollusk pathologists here should be able to shed some light.
Oh okay. Understood. Thanks a lot for your response

The material used by the mollusk to coat the intrusion/injury is not nacre, thus it appears the gemological value is null. As for the blister itself, the mollusk pathologists here should be able to shed some light.
Correct and agreed.

Hinge blisters form in or near the heart (pericardium). Having immediate and great proximity to vascular flow, pearls of this type grow rapidly and are largely granular and calcareous.

Correct and agreed.

Hinge blisters form in or near the heart (pericardium). Having immediate and great proximity to vascular flow, pearls of this type grow rapidly and are largely granular and calcareous.
Okay, sad to know since I was actually excited that I might have found a natural pearl. Anyways thankyou.
Just sharing a few pictures of my other cultured half round pearls which are in progress (it's been 13 months since we started the farming). Hope it will develop in another 6 months.

Attachments

• IMG_20240702_220929.jpg
    IMG_20240702_220929.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240629_124850.jpg
    IMG_20240629_124850.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240629_103226.jpg
    IMG_20240629_103226.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • signal-2024-05-11-19-53-34-230.jpg
    signal-2024-05-11-19-53-34-230.jpg