GIA cuts jobs

Mikeyy

Pearl Diver
I just came across this story.

Gem grader GIA cuts jobs at Carlsbad headquarters
By Penni Crabtree, staff writer
2:00 a.m. December 24, 2008

The Gemological Institute of America, the nation's top rater of diamonds, has cut 117 jobs at its Carlsbad headquarters, citing the global recession that has taken the sparkle out of the jewelry trade.

The nonprofit trimmed 11.3 percent of its 1,642 worldwide employees last week as part of a cost-cutting plan that also reduces work hours for some remaining employees, imposes a 10 percent pay cut on executives and halts company contributions to employee 401(k) retirement plans.

?It was a really, really sad day, and we did everything to avoid it,? said Laura Simanton, a spokeswoman for GIA, which employed 976 people in Carlsbad before the cuts. ?But the diamond and gemstone industry has been having a difficult time. The pipeline is not flowing.?

That pipeline ? from the stones that come out of South Africian diamond mines, to diamond cutters and polishers in India, to swank jewelry stores in Manhattan ? has been squeezed by the credit crisis and softening demand for luxury goods.

This year, De Beers, the world's largest producer of diamonds, said it would cut diamond mine production and reduce the amount of unpolished stones that it auctions off.

That move was taken in part to buoy slumping prices, but the company also said its customers, those who cut and polish gems before reselling them, are lowering inventories at the request of their lenders.

GIA's place in the pipeline also has been disrupted. The nonprofit generates much of its revenue from fees imposed for grading and rating diamonds and gemstones.

In addition to the employee reductions at its Carlsbad headquarters, GIA cut 36 jobs at its New York office.

?There are significantly fewer stones going into the pipeline, which reduces the number of stones going through our labs,? Simanton said. ?And that means a significant reduction in our operating revenue.?

GIA, founded in 1931, created the diamond mantra of color, clarity, cut, and carat weight and a grading system to value them.

Hi Mikeyy,

The roughly 10% RIF appears to be the norm across all industries these days whether it be banking, financial services, retail, telecom, technology etc... Sign of the times unfortunately.

Since diamond sales drive a significant portion of the overall jewelry market revenue share both online and brick and mortar it only makes sense an economic downturn impacts the GIA due to the trickle down effect of slower sales. What do auto companies do when they sell less cars? Reduce QA staff because they don't have as many cars running through the assembly line.

On a positive note, hopefully the pearl industry reaps some of the benefits of the downturn. Pearls are sold at historically much lower and more affordable average ticket prices than diamonds. As a result, demand should increase as consumers become more price conscious when shopping for jewelry. If demand increases enough hopefully pearl quality standards become a higher priority and viewed as an opportunity for the industry. This would create more jobs for the GIA in the long run. Not to mention, better quality standards benefit those of us selling higher quality pearls, creating more revenue and profits, subsequently creating more jobs. At the same time it would eliminate or reduce the players that have been making up their own standards for years or force them to get with the program.

Positive outlooks abound. I'm liking it.
Hi Mikeyy,

The roughly 10% RIF appears to be the norm across all industries these days whether it be banking, financial services, retail, telecom, technology etc... Sign of the times unfortunately.

Since diamond sales drive a significant portion of the overall jewelry market revenue share both online and brick and mortar it only makes sense an economic downturn impacts the GIA due to the trickle down effect of slower sales. What do auto companies do when they sell less cars? Reduce QA staff because they don't have as many cars running through the assembly line.

On a positive note, hopefully the pearl industry reaps some of the benefits of the downturn. Pearls are sold at historically much lower and more affordable average ticket prices than diamonds. As a result, demand should increase as consumers become more price conscious when shopping for jewelry. If demand increases enough hopefully pearl quality standards become a higher priority and viewed as an opportunity for the industry. This would create more jobs for the GIA in the long run. Not to mention, better quality standards benefit those of us selling higher quality pearls, creating more revenue and profits, subsequently creating more jobs. At the same time it would eliminate or reduce the players that have been making up their own standards for years or force them to get with the program.

Last edited:
My guess would be that the tutors - the people who do the real teaching and assessing - will get the push while the bureaucrats will keep their jobs (based on 18 years in education), Caitlin.

Last edited:
I am afraid you're are right, Wendy

The pearls course!the pearls course!

Maybe Jeremy can buy the pearls course and enroll people through the P-G ---or something!

I know Doug is retiring next week so I would assume the writing portion of the new course must be complete or nearly so. They still have to add the photos and artwork, however. That is a major job.

I just noticed that the courses at the GIA have gone up. Now you also have to pay for shipping and books (which was included in the base price before).

Had I applied for my course last week, I would have saved quite a bit! lol

My guess would be that the tutors - the people who do the real teaching and assessing - will get the push while the bureaucrats will keep their jobs (based on 18 years in education), Caitlin.

I believe it is the norm everywhere (and very much true in Mexico). I have given this odd phenomena a name: "Idiotocracy". Yes, and they are the ones in charge of the Planet. No wonder everything is going down the drain.

Sad to hear Compadre Doug Fiske is retiring. :(

Idiotoracy = dumbing down?
Funnily enough the state universities, which have reasonably secure funding for courses, pressure we lecturers to inflate marks, while the private university at which I did some teaching last year was quite happy for me to fail students. It was lovely to assess without someone breathing down the red pencil's neck

Back