Freshwater Pearls dyed black. Permanent?

H

heatherliu

I read that white freshwater pearls are dyed black with silver nitrate. Is the dye permanent, or will it slowly fade or rub off with time?

Hi Heather,

The treatment is permanent. However, new technology has replaced silver nitrate treatment already years ago and now off-color pearls are not bleached anymore before they are dyed black. The new dyes have low molecular weight and can penetrate the nacre without a need of increased porosity from bleaching as was the case for the old process. That helps preserve both the orient of the pearls and their longevity.

Zeide

Thanks Zeide! :)

I was considering buying a black freshwater pearl for my friend's b-day, and since there's no way I can afford giving people Tahitian black pearls, I figured this was the way to go. I just feel funny about giving my friend a pearl that's been dyed though. :(

Heather,

Actually a 9-10mm, AAA grade Black Freshwater is a great alternative to a strand of Tahitians. This size would be considered a "small" Tahitian but is is a very popular size. However, Black Freshwater pearls would cost about 1/10 the price of the Tahitians.

The coloring process is perminant and I would not focus to heavily that they are died since almost all pearls are treated in some fasion after harvest. Make sure that in the 9-10mm range that you look for AAA grade. This grade will have a very high luster and a very smooth surface.

Thanks everyone! :)

That's a lot of good advice and new info. And it makes me feel better too, so I think I might get a black freshwater pearl for her. I'm learning a lot of stuff that I've never known before. Thanks for the help!

Back