Freshwater pearl mussel

Raakku

Hi,

my grandmother gave me this beautiful finnish freshwater pearl mussel ring from the 1930's. It is very round and quite bright to be a mussels pearl, size around 0,8 mm. I assume it is extremely rare, can you help me out estimate what comes to the value of the ring? I shall give it to my daughter later on. Sadly those mussels are endangered and it has been said, that one had to open 10000 individuals to find this kind of beauty. What a waste 😐.

Attachments

• 20190703_110422.jpg
    20190703_110422.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190703_110503.jpg
    20190703_110503.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 57
Welcome to the forum! I don't have any words of wisdom as to the value, but I love the ring's design!

If I may ask, what does the inscription say inside the band? This is a lovely sentimental piece to hand down to your daughter!

What a lovely gift to receive from your grandmother!

Natural pearls are rare and valuable, of course, but we are not able to say what the monetary value of the ring would be. Ultimately an item is only worth what someone else will pay for it. If you wish to insure it I suggest you find a local jewlery appraiser. They may be familiar with what other such items have sold for before.

One advantage of the farming of pearls is that mass numbers of wild mussels and oysters are not being killed off the way they used to be. Oysters are filter feeders, so they help clean the oceans. It's good for everyone if they are not killed off!

Raakku,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your sentimental and rare pearl ring! It's a beautiful pearl and the crown setting is perfect for it. You might find a comparable pearl for sale at KariPearls.com, a source for antique and vintage natural pearl jewelry.

Back