Fresh Water Baroque? South Seas? (mayyybeeee?)

mausketeer

Hi everybody. New to the forum. Novice pearl lover here! Just bought some ringed/circled baroque pearls that were not advertised as being South Seas (not from eBay - from another on-line vintage jewelry store that seems very credible), but it was inferred that they may be (had a description of what SS baroque pearls are without saying that these WERE SS pearls). They were advertised as simply being "cultured ringed baroque pearls". From my research (which admittedly, amounts to only a few weeks) I would say these are likely freshwater, however the owner of the shop bought them from a woman who got them in Japan in the '70's so that makes me wonder if they maybe ARE South Seas after all? They are 62" long and didn't cost me too much so either way I'm happy. Would just like to know...... See photos attached.....

Thanks for your help!
Jodie

Attachments

• whitepearls4.jpg
    whitepearls4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 52
  • whitepearls2.jpg
    whitepearls2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 53
  • whitepearls3.jpg
    whitepearls3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Hi Jodie, and welcome to the forum!

My novice view on your lovely pearls (please ignore the "pearl expert" label, it only means I talk a lot) is that they may not be as old as you have been led to believe. IMHO, I would say these are recent FW, but I am MORE than happy to be wrong on this.

You know what though? For 62 inches of pretty sizable FW pearls for $100, you have got yourself a bargain - good buying! If they turn out to be SS (I'm betting not), well you should go out and buy yourself a lottery ticket with the luck you are having at the moment. Enjoy them!

Hi
These look like the sort of big ringed baroques which were being produced in China a lot four or five years ago. At the time they seemed enormous and a good deal for big pearls.
Shows how fast the farmers there have learned. They are tidily knotted though and that is worth quite a portion of your purchase price. I'd say just about the right price.
cheers
wendy

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

As far as I am concerned these are circled, baroque freshwaters. The lack all the characteristics South Sea pearls would show like the bodycolour that is much more white and the often fine silver overtones. There are posts with pics of South Sea pearls, so you can see for yourself...

I agree, these are circled, baroque freshwaters.
Not to fret -- you still got some pretty pearls that can be worn dressy or casually.
I have some like this and they make good everyday pearls.

And Jodi -- welcome!!

I concur-- I thought freshwater as soon as I saw the photo. 62" is a fun length!

I take all stories of provenance posted by sellers with a grain of salt. I recall a discussion thread I read on eBay a few years ago in which the sellers discussed how they invented stories of provenance to add to the romance of the item. Their justification was their theory that buyers like a nice story.:eek:

Thanks everybody. This forum is really fun. Everyone is very helpful and there's obviously a lot of knowledge about pearls. I'm learning a lot. I have a few stories about the 4 strands of pearls I've purchased in the last 4 months (before then I'd never owned pearls in my life!) Buying pearls for my sister to wear when she gets married is a good one - you should all get a good chuckle out of it..... I'll post them in the "Show Us Your Pearls" thread when I get some pictures.......

Jodie

Thanks. We look forward to seeing photos and hearing stories.:)

yes sorry to the jeweller didn't know more about what they were selling, those are undoubtedly freshwater pearls.

Back