Forgive me if this is not the place...

I apologize up front because not only am I a pearl newbie but I have no idea where to take this question...

I know that no one can give a completely perfect appraisal by pics but I have two strands of pearls that I wondered if someone could assist in an approximate value on...

What I know: These pearls were purchased by my father when he served in Korea in 1959 or 1960 for the woman he married before my mother and managed to get them back from her somehow...

What I don't know: Almost everything... I have no idea what he paid for them (which probably doesn't make any difference anyway), exactly when he got them (except for the above info), etc... I'm simply looking for a "ballpark" figure of some kind...

I've lurked around this site for a couple of weeks and have seen people ask for close ups of claps, etc and I don't know if the pics I have will suffice or not... If not, I can take more but here are the ones that I have right now...

Attachments

• 100_0110.jpg
    100_0110.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0112.jpg
    100_0112.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0111.jpg
    100_0111.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0114.jpg
    100_0114.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_0109.jpg
    100_0109.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 53
Do you have a macro setting on your camera? It would help to have a better look at the pearls. From what I can see, if they are pearls they are akoya. The single strand looks graduated, and the time line you give would make it a 3.5 momme strand. If you have the measurements we could be sure.

I would most happy to do whatever I need to do to make this easier and again, I apologize... Now, I'm going to sound stupid here and forgive me, but when you say "measurements" what exactly am I measuring??? If you can explain how to do this I'd be happy to do so... Also, on the "macro" setting you're speaking of, I'm fairly sure that I do but it's a new camera and I'm still trying to figure it completely out... Are you needing a smaller pic, larger, closer up, etc??? Again Jeremy, I apologize for all of this but I certainly appreciate whatever assistance you can give me...

I will also tell you this... We live in a very small town right now and we've taken these to two regular jewelers (I'm aware from reading posts here that this isn't the preferred method) and they both concurred that they're real pearls but neither could even begin to estimate the value...

Jeremy is looking for a close up shot, the macro setting will allow you get very close to the pearls and still take a focused shot. Its best to take A LOT of pics and a couple of them should turn out good.

The timeline and look of the pearls says they are Akoya pearls: https://www.pearl-guide.com/akoya-pearls.shtml.

By measurements, I mean the millimeter measurements of the pearls. They really must be measured with a caliper to get the exact measurements. The only thing really needed are the measurements of the pearls at the end of the strand and the big pearl in the center.

The macro shot would make it easy to determine whether or not they are genuine pearls, and also to be able to gauge the quality and how well they've been maintained.

And don't forget to put them on a "white paper towel" rather than a coloured background! (was taking photos of my strands the other day and my boyfriend suggested I put them on our BLACK table instead..... He thought the paper towel was "ugly" - lol.)

- Jodie -

Okay, thanks to all for the info... I'll see what I can get together here shortly as far as the pics... I have no caliper however so what should be done on that end???

Thanks again...

Hi There-

You can either pick one up from a jewelers' supply shop in your area if you want to hang onto one ($30 tops), or you can take the pearls to a local jeweler in your area for a quick look-see... I'm most interested in seeing some close ups on that single strand- the center pearls have this slightly ovalish or barreled shape to my eye which is very intriguing!

Close ups and measurements...

Close ups and measurements...

Okay, I used a tape measure so it's not perfect I'm sure but here are what I came up with:

On the double strand:
Including the clasps (unlatched) the length came out to about 21 cm...
Just the pearls came out to about 19 cm...

On the single strand:
Including the clasps (unlatched) the length came out to about 35 cm...
Just the pearls came out to about 33.5 cm...

On the single strand the large center pearl appears to be between 6-7 mm...
The two pearls nearest the clasps appear to be between 2-3 mm...

On the double strand, each pearl seems to be around 3-4 mm...

If these pics still don't suffice, I'll take a couple of more...

Again, I appreciate the assistance here... (and apologies for the one on the colored background but it appeared to me to be at least a fairly good pic)...

Attachments

• 100_0123.jpg
    100_0123.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0128.jpg
    100_0128.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0125.jpg
    100_0125.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 62
Agreed. They look like vintage akoya. The 3.5 momme strand would graduate from about 2.5 mm to 7 mm in the center.

This is rare find and a collector's item. But the real value would be determined by the quality and care that has gone into taking care of them over the years. It's like a magazine or a baseball card. In mint condition, they can be worth a lot of money. But if the nacre is cracked, peeling, showing bead ... it could merely be a keepsake if that's the case. Unfortunately it is difficult to ascertain the quality from the photos

Someone recently (I think it was Boo) took an amazing photo just with her iPhone. I'd suggest playing around with it a bit more in different lighting to try for the best possible shot of the surface and luster of the pearls. This would tell a whole lot more about the strands.

I don't know but it seems there are some oval shapes in there.

Who to take this to???

Who to take this to???

Okay, I can't seem to get this camera to take the kind of pics that you need for some reason... I live in North Central Florida near Gainesville... Is there someone in the general vicinity who you would suggest taking it to in person??? I noticed that most of you seem to know people everywhere who are good at this type of thing so who would be someone who could give me a good, honest appraisal???

Thank you all again for your assistance...

Reese Wilson

@ Wendy Graham... The one strand is a double strand it's obviously a bracelet... The other, I agree, would be very snug but my wife can put it on, still snug but it DOES fit...

Again, can anyone direct me to anyone in Florida who could adequately appraise these??? I can't get any better pics than what I've taken for some reason but I need to get these done asap... Any help is appreciated...

Oh, and might I add I have relatives in San Clemente CA who can take these to someone in that general area as well... Please respond and let me know where to take this from here...

Back