EVERY KIND OF HELP IS NEEDED

pearlyneck

I'm a foreigner who is living in an Asian country SEA to be precise, recently I decided to start a small farm so I started searching for the right mussel but i couldn't find any in my area so i broadened my search area and then I found the Hyriopsis cumingii Asian mussel, but the problem here is that i need to transport the mussel from another far city, and its 30 hours far away from my place. I'm not sure that they will survive, I need your help in finding a way to transport them, and unfortunately I just found that the water is contaminated with pathogenic organisms, so i will use the river's water and link the pond with the river so i can have a water flow from the river. I would appreciate all opinions and advices.

TL;DR :1. I need help with preserving the mussels and keeping the alive while travelling, 2. Is it a good idea to use water from the river for my pond ?
my pond is similar to this one but a bit bigger
Capture.PNG

After some reading (and there are more threads where that came from) you can again approach us and we will be happy to help! But best if you have more information with you.

I need help with preserving the mussels and keeping the alive while travelling, 2. Is it a good idea to use water from the river for my pond ?
30 hours is not a problem for relaying mussels so long as the shell stock is cooled, immersed and oxygenated. However, without adequate quarantine measures you run the risk of introducing invasive species and/or diseases.

After some reading (and there are more threads where that came from) you can again approach us and we will be happy to help! But best if you have more information with you.
I will start reading right now thank you for your reply I'm really thankful

30 hours is not a problem for relaying mussels so long as the shell stock is cooled, immersed and oxygenated. However, without adequate quarantine measures you run the risk of introducing invasive species and/or diseases.
I see and what do you think about using water from the river ?

You can use paper, cloth, plant leaves, seaweeds, wood chips, anything you can just keep HUMID, not wet...not inmersive!
If water quality fails you will have DEAD organisms, so instead using cooler boxes in a "lasagna" system of humid substrate, animals, and then again. The bottom should have some ice packs to cool down the environment and make the mollusk's metabolic rate go down.

Back