Does anyone know anything about my pearls

1tchristy

Hi, I'm new here and was very happy to be able to be part of this site!! I have a beautiful pearl necklace that my grandma left me and I can't seem to find the maker of it. The clasp is marked in very small letters on the side panel sterlingz:
They're a nice cream color and hand knotted. I would love to know maybe where they came from, the maker, what kind they are, or anything someone knows about them. I hope I upload the photo's right.. Thank you! Tammy

Attachments

• Copy of my pearls.jpg
    Copy of my pearls.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 46
  • gggg 011.jpg
    gggg 011.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 47
It does look very pretty and it's cool that you can wear something that will remind you of your grandmother. :cool: Do you have a macro setting on your camera? If you could get a closer and sharper photo, it would be easier to tell you something.

3 more pictures

3 more pictures

I hope these are better!! I'm not to good at taking pictures! lol My camera could use replaced also.. Thanks Again!! Tammy

Attachments

• pearls 001.jpg
    pearls 001.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 58
  • pearls 002.jpg
    pearls 002.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 64
  • pearls 003.jpg
    pearls 003.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 59
That's much better - good job! ;)

The clasp may be a replacement and without a trademark stamp or identifiable design, there is no way to tell the maker.

They are uniform enough that they could be akoya pearls with some wear, or good simulated pearls. Look closely at the drill holes and see if there is any flaking or peeling. (This can happen with real akoya pearls, as well as coated glass pearls)

The photos are great, but it's hard to tell from a photo.

Cheers,
Blaire

They look like imitation pearls to me. Giveaways are the uniformity of color, shape and size of the pearls; the lack of overtones; the sterling clasp instead of gold; the way the clasp is attached (French wire not used). But, I could be wrong. There are tests you can do to give you a better idea. (More on that upcoming.)

That said, they still have sentimental value as they were your grandmother's pearls.

Tests:

1. "Tooth test". You can gently rub a pearl against a tooth (or, a cleaner method is to rub one pearl against another.) A cultured pearl will feel a bit rough; an imitation pearl will feel smooth when rubbed.

2. Look at the pearls under 10x magnification (use a loupe magnifier.) A cultured pearl will look very smooth; an imitation pearl will have a rougher-looking surface.) Cultured pearls look smooth but feel rough rubbed together; imitation pearls look rough but feel smooth.

If you have another strand that you know to be imitation, it may help to compare the known strand with the unknown.

Also imitation pearls are usually heavier (if they have a glass bead inside) or lighter (if they have a plastic bead inside) than cultured pearls, which have a shell bead inside.

Thank you Both very much for your help. The teeth test was actually one of the problems I was having. They do feel gritty, but not as gritty and rough as my pearl earring. but they also dont feel smooth like my other imitation pearls. They did have some peeling/wear around a couple of the wholes and also looks like what I can only decribe as like rings around those ones also. The wholes are so some I cant see much else. I only have a 6x mag. but I ordered a 10x today.. Thank you again so much!!

Pearls are notoriously hard to photograph also, and they look like they could use a gentle bath followed by restringing---built-up grime would reduce their luster.

My late mother-in-law had a 22 inch imitation strand that looked a lot like yours. They were "Prestige" brand-- she had even kept the little brochure that came with them. She always thought they were real, as did my FIL, but in fact that generation wore imitation pearls a lot.

Thank you so much.. I think I will check into getting them cleaned and restrung!! I'm very greatful for your help!!!

Hi, just wanted to give you an update.. You were exactly correct!! My local jeweler said my necklace is indeed imitation pearls. Thank you again!!

T the way the clasp is attached (French wire not used).

I know this is moot for this strand, but I have a vintage strand from the 30's that are real and the clasp is strung the same way as this one - just tied on to the clasp.

1tchristy, I figure it's always good to know what you have. The fact that they are imitation has nothing to do with the pleasure of having jewelry that belonged to your grandmother.

If you like the way they look, I still recommend cleaning, restringing and enjoying them. You might even want to try your hand at restringing them yourself. (See the Lowly Beader's Club forum for discussion threads on stringing necklaces.)

waimeamomi-- That is interesting! It occurs to me that it's also possible the OP's pearls were restrung over the years.

Back