Diamond of Saudi Arabia?

T

takikawa

I am sorry not to be a question about a pearl.

If someone has information about ?Sand Diamond?, similar stone of a diamond produced in Saudi Arabia, please let me know about it.
As long as I know, 90% of the component of the stone is diamond. But I have never heard about such a stone.

They as much diamond as... the 'Herkimer Diamonds' of the US or elsewhere - i.e. rock crystal, nothing else.

There's lots of 'jokes' about gems and jewelry, and it sounds like you have just heard a silly one... that these things have diamonds in the mix. :rolleyes:

Try the gemology forum (www.gemology.com) - there were a few questions about the same material. These things are also called 'desert diamonds'.

However, there this is quartz with a story: not exactly a precious object, but definitely a conversation piece by all means.

My 2c. When expert opinion is needed about a precious stone, gemological laboratories and appraisers are there to do the job.

thank you

thank you

Thank you for information & advice.

Actually they are very pretty and I never fail to get a complement on them, however, no one believes them to be real diamonds. Attached is a pic and the vendor's detail regarding the beads. This is from MiGem.com. Michelle is a very wonderful and reputable vendor.

"These are graded AB by the vendor. Herkimer double-pointed Crystals that look like rough diamond stones thus the name. Originally mined in Herkimer, NY, these are of brazilian origin. Beads measuring 5x7 to 6x12 mm with 3.5 mm round clear crystal spacers, 16" strands. These are important crystals used in gem therapy and helps to release energy blockage and enhance dream recall. These are very popular stones at the moment and we have already sold out several batches. Our supplier has mentioned that the factory is not making more of these beads at the moment due to rough shortage so get them while you can!

$48 for 1 strand"

Last edited:
The 'desert diamonds' are shaped by eolian abrasion, with a recognizable rough 'skin'... by comapring with the Herkimer 'diamonds' I was simply refering to the name associating some type of clear local rocks to the big D.

Now, I am glad for the confusion because otherwise I would have likely never found out about them beads! ;)

Pretty bead work, looks like rock candy. Do you know how large the rough pieces are when they are mined? I wonder what the hardness value is on the Moh's scale? Just curious.

Hi Ingykiz,

I have a few strands of these, they are very clear and pretty in high grade. On mine the double terminations are SHARP!! So I will probably have to buff them down a bit before use. About 7-7.5 Mohs. If you Google, you will find lots of interesting info and photos.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Ingykiz said:
Pretty bead work, looks like rock candy. Do you know how large the rough pieces are when they are mined? I wonder what the hardness value is on the Moh's scale? Just curious.

They are quartz, so for hardness you can look it up (mindat.org is great).

These are typically sharp, mostly undamaged crystals. Size? Anything from millimeters to huge wand-like ones better described in pounds and centimeters. Each source has its own little quirks and characteristics, but you would find enough of anything when it comes to quartz. All sizes that can be used as beads, are, I would think.

Smaller things as those used in the picture could come from any number of sources in Brazil, Madagascar, Pakistan... This is the first installment of such pieces used as beads. But they make perfect sense. So much so, I'd wish I had a way to drill some! And other small crystals... garnet and tourmaline also come in small 'floaters' like those - and they'd be perfect, natural beads that don't seem to be all that frequently available, just right up my alley :cool:

Back