Custom Pearl and Palladium Design - Is it Impossible?

portlandtables

Hello all --

I am madly in love with a ring made by the commercial jeweler Ross Simons, a 4 mm cultured pearl fluted eternity band. They only make it in rose gold, don't do custom orders, and I only wear white metals.

I want to have the ring made, one similar to it, with palladium. (Or platinum.)

This seems impossible! Here in Portland, Oregon I have received only "no" from jewelers or most have not returned calls/emails. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard, but I am having the toughest time.

Any suggestions? Is palladium not OK with freshwater pearls? I want to wear this ring as an engagement ring, and it will be worn on special occasions only, with the everyday wedding band being a simple palladium milgrain band.

Any help, suggestions, info out there would be most deeply appreciated! Thanks---

PT

Is it this ring? That's really pretty. I've never even thought of a pearl eternity band before. They also have it in yellow gold here, but the rose gold looks nicer for some reason. I wonder if it would be uncomfortable on the sides of your finger.

If you were to find someone to make it in a white metal, I think that pearls in shades of grey-toned lavender would be cool. Sorry I can't help suggest anyone to custom-make it. I actually still haven't found anyone to custom-make my husband's wedding band-- and we've been married for three months. Isn't that awful?

Nicole

Yes, it is that ring! And excellent suggestion on pearl color! Hopefully someone'll stumble across this thread and tell me if palladium is possible, and then say, hey! I can do this! For $1000! That would thrill me.

Good luck to you and your hubby on getting the dream ring made!

PT

I think that part of the problem is that not many jewelers work with Palladium at all. Unfortuately, I do not know any that does either. If nothing comes forth, you might want to take a look on Ganoskin, a jeweler's forum that did mave some conversation going about 'How to' palladium things a while back. You could track one of the more daring jewelers working with it...

In the meanime, how about a bracellet? This one looks eerily simlar:

LINK to Guild.org
A7214-002l.jpg

And who knows... perhaps the maker of it might also handle a ring order in white gold.

I think that part of the problem is that not many jewelers work with Palladium at all. Unfortuately, I do not know any that does either. If nothing comes forth, you might want to take a look on Ganoskin, a jeweler's forum that did mave some conversation going about 'How to' palladium things a while back. You could track one of the more daring jewelers working with it...

In the meanime, how about a bracellet? This one looks eerily simlar:

LINK to Guild.org
A7214-002l.jpg

And who knows... perhaps the maker of it might also handle a ring order in white gold.

Hi Valeria,
I really do admire how You always seem to find the most cool designs on pearl jewellery imaginable! These bracelets are georgeous! Once I win the lottery I?ll get back to you for addresses and advice!;)

P.S. On the link the bracelets shown are in silver, where do I find the ones in gold? D.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
jerin said:
P.S. On the link the bracelets shown are in silver, where do I find the ones in gold? D.S.

Right... They are both on Rhonda Coryell's page at Guild.com.

https://www.guild.com/artist/7214.html

I think the price is quite high too. At least some of the justification might be in how these were made: the pea-pod shape is typical of rising... And the designer's website (just found it too - www.rhonndacoryell.com) lists a hoard of awards!

Wonder if a ring could possibly be priced about half as much as a bracelet - that would even match the quote on this thread. And carry a recognizable signature to boot. Oh well...

jerin said:

https://www.guild.com/artist/7214.html

I think the price is quite high too. At least some of the justification might be in how these were made: the pea-pod shape is typical of rising... And the designer's website (just found it too - www.rhonndacoryell.com) lists a hoard of awards!

PS. Half-pearl bands were rather typical Victorian jewelry, weren't they?

Thinking of how thick a ring with full pearls would feel (the ring from Ross Simmons would be 5mm thick between fingers), perhaps those Victorian fellows had a point.

Valeria,

I thought the price for the silver one was quite high but the golden one is really expensive, but then you pay most for the handy craft...

jerin said:
Valeria,

I thought the price for the silver one was quite high but the golden one is really expensive...

Right... I remembered the disign after a few years (that probably says something about it's appeal, LOL!) but I am not sure the first ones were from the same designer.

I doubt any custom project would be allot less and jewelers doing anticlastic reising are not a big crowd at all. Surely that was factored into the price (a few times).

Back