Can anyone help me identify these pearls

Autumn

IMG_3274.jpgIMG_3273.jpgIMG_3272.jpgIMG_3271.jpg

There are five (5) stands attached together. They are new old stock from a closed Jewelry store and supposedly from the 50's or 60's.

They look to me like more recent pearls, cultured freshwater pearls from China, solid nacre (no bead inside).

The eggy shapes and the circular grooves are a giveaway, as is the color.

Last edited:
Are they worth anything? I haven't purchased them yet. I am certain they are old and not new. The owners of the store had them put away in a safe for many years.

I do not believe they are old, and if I'm right, they are worth rather little. What is the seller claiming they are?

The original owners (jewelry buyers) are deceased. The person is selling off the old stock that was stored away for years. He did not buy them and doesn't know much about pearls.

Wouldn't they at least be more expensive than costume jewelry or man made pearls? I thought they would be worth at least $10-$20 a strand.

The store owners could have purchased these more recently, in the 1990s.

They don't look like akoyas and they don't look like naturals-- sorry, I don't think they are worth much. Only buy them if you love the look and the shape, and don't pay more than you would for commercial grade freshwater pearls.

Do you think they are worth at least $10-$20 a strand. I don't know what commercial grade freshwater pearls sell for. I also did not know there were pearls with solid nacre. I learned something. I see people pay more for fake plastic beads coated with paint that comes off. So I thought they would be worth something. Thanks.

Yes, solid nacre (tissue nucleated) freshwater pearls have been farmed (cultured) in China for decades! I have some from 1980 but they date back before that. As time went on the Chinese figured out how to produce rounder shapes.

These days you can get much better Chinese cultured freshwater pearls-- rounder and larger, and better colors. That is why I am not urging you to buy them! You really can do better. However, if you prefer those eggy shaped pearls, you would not be overpaying if you paid $10-20/strand for them.

Also, it's true that imitation pearls can be expensive for what they are. One great thing about solid nacre pearls is that they will be very durable.

I'm editing to add that many of us string our own pearls, and if you buy them (or any temporarily strung strand) and want to save money, you can string them yourself. We have tutorials in the forum called "Lowly Beaders Club."

The pearls do have a very nice luster and I agree with Pearl Dreams, these look like cultured freshwater pearls with no bead nucleus. They could be from the early days of "rounder" freshwater pearls that began appearing about 25+ years ago and were much more expensive compared to their equivalent pearls today. Perhaps make an offer you feel comfortable with. A romantic story about old pearls without documentation, well, it's just a story.

Back